• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customize VVLOGIN for invalid password message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customize VVLOGIN for invalid password message

When logging into Valence we have noticed that when a user enters an invalid password with a valid userid, no error message appears. If they enter an invalid userid, an error message informs them that the userid does not exist. The problem we face is that most of our users are remote and infrequent so they enter wrong passwords often. With no error message they just think the system is stuck. We have extended the login attempts to provide more opportunity to enter correct password but that just means they see no error for longer (until they get to 3 remaining, then the error message with counter is great, but some give up before then).

We have tried to customize the login page through the hook but we can't add the invalid password message. Can we have the login page inform users of invalid passwords before it gets to the last 3 attempts, preferably without the remaining attempts count until they get to the last 3 attempts, so the users see some response when they enter wrong passwords?

Thanks.

It's definitely not customary for the login page to show nothing when an incorrect password is entered. Here's the default appearance:
    invalid_password.png

Perhaps you have a customized Hook.js file that's doing something to hide this error message. Can you email your Hook.js file to Support and we'll take a look at it?

Comment

I've never seen this error message come up, even in the base, vanilla version of 6.2 Valence. I've attached our hook.js file. Most of the mods in there are commented out as we changed from hard coded Agency selection to more generic user login where they choose the "Agency" when required by various apps. That took most of the mods out of Hook.js.

Attached Files

Comment

Well if the base/vanilla instance with a non-modified Hook.js isn't showing an error message either, then there must be something else at play. If you hit F12 to open up Dev Tools and look at the Network tab, what are you seeing in the response for the call to vvlogin.pgm? It should look like this, normally...
        invalid_password_console.png

Comment

I did that. Here is the result:

Payload:
          action: login
          lng: en
          display: desktop
          version: 6.2.20240314.0
          forceEnv:
          user: 00700073
          password: 0066007200650064
          browser: Chrome
          browserVersion: 123.0
          osVersion: 10
          sid: undefined
          lang: en
          env: null

Response:
          fld: "password"
          lit: "passwordIncorect"
          success: false
          var1: "00500053"

It looks like the var1 response is the user login in caps (I entered "ps"). The only other difference is an incorrect spelling of the error code (lit). How do we change that error code lit?

Peter

Comment

Okay, got it sorted out. That typo in the literal coming from VVLOGIN is specific to Valence user IDs, which is why I couldn't replicate it with an IBM i profile. This will be corrected in the next build.

Comment

Working...
            X