• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[INCORPORATED] System functions via Valence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INCORPORATED] System functions via Valence

Is there functionality available in Valence or planned in the near future (perhaps in the upcoming release?) for system functions like:
    • WRKSPLF
      WRKSBMJOB
      WRKJOBQ
      WRKOUTQ
      DSPMSG

I'm still experimenting with Valence, but for a complete application in a production environment i would need these functions.
    I can develop my own off course, but if these are available (in the near future) that would be a waste of time.

Thanks in advance,

Martin Buitendijk
    (P.s. Keep up the good work).

There's no plan to include these features on any upcoming release but there's always a chance in the future. If anyone else needs these functions through Valence please add your comments to this thread.

Comment

System Functions

At least WRKSPLF support is needed for full production use of Valence to replace all 5250 use. Only alternatives I know of would Operation Navigator which would still require a Windows Desktop or iSeries Access for Web (IAW). I'd hate to have to implement IAW just for WRKSPLF.

We use Terminal Server and thin clients on shop floor. Currently, we have to deploy entire Windows desktop as an application so we can run 5250 to use my programs. The hope is I can rewrite in Valence, allowing us to only use browser on the thin clients. Because of generated shop floor labels, interacting with print files and printers has to be done, very common.

Thanks!

Comment

I agree.
        WRKSPLF support is the most important system function if you want to replace 5250 completely.

Because these functions are not available now (as far a i know) and in the near future, i 've already developped my own in Valence.

Comment

As mentioned in another suggestion thread, we've had a number of internal discussions recently on bringing back a WRKSPLF equivalent to Valence (we used to have this feature in Version 1, dropped it in version 2). We agree there is ample interest in bringing this functionality back, so we are planning to retool the utility for Ext 4 and reintroduce it later this year, with version 3.2 if not sooner. Stay tuned to the newsletter announcements!

Comment

Working...
          X