• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excel automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel automation

I would like to run a nitro app that generates an excel file, from a program instead of from the screen.

The idea is that, instead of having someone to run the nitro app every day from the launchpad to generate the excel file, the end of day could run the nitro app to generate the excel file, using the relevant filters, and place it on a chosen location on the IFS.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

We do this by generating excel reports directly from RPG using vvOut to excel spreadsheet function specifying IFS path for the result. This can then be run from a menu on the IBM i or a scheduled job or any batch job.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, this would be good for new downloads.

However, I was hoping, a way to run the existing nitro app could be devised, to avoid creating the excel file again, as all the work has already been done.

It would be great if there was a way to call the nitro app passing the name of the app, the value of the filters, the format desired (e.g. .csv, .xls, .xlsx, etc.) and the location where the file should be saved.

Is this something that could be achieved using web services?

Comment

petersioufi I bit the bullet and wrote a new RPG program using vvOut as per your suggestion. I put it in the day end job and it worked great. The original NAB generated spreadsheet saved me some time as I copied the headings and column widths from it. Thanks a lot for your help Peter.

Comment

Working...
        X