• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Application Documentation Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application Documentation Feature

Scenario:

A user is granted access to a series of Valence apps for the 1st time. They start looking into the apps they have access to but are curious about things like:

"What files does application-x update?"

"What functionality is included with application-y?"

"Does application-z have a mechanism to prevent multiple users from changing the data at the same time?"

"If I upload this Excel spreadsheet into the app, and click "Commit", what impact does that have?"

So, I'm fairly certain I know how I would approach this from a "custom" point of view. I'd create a either a PF or IFS file that contains the program documentation, and pull this documentation up in a window. The window can be pulled up through a help button on the app. This could be extended so that a list of documentation materials will be made available (pdf's, doc's, url's to youtube videos or even embedded videos).

My curiosity is could CNX develop a way to add this material through the portal's App maintenance application? I don't know how this would be deployed in terms of "where would the help button be". Maybe it wouldn't be anywhere and we have to add it as a Valence specific widget (valence.help.button or something). However, the key point being that the configuration for the content of the help box/window would be stored at the App maintenance application. Hope that makes sense.
Working...
X