• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a field in a form update as changes are made to a separate widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a field in a form update as changes are made to a separate widget

I have a field in a form that isn't editable, that field keeps track of the other fields in the form to show a total remaining value. That total remaining value is also reliant on data coming from a second edit grid widget. While I am able to have that value update whenever a value changes in the form, I also want it to change as soon as a value is updated in the edit grid.

So far, I have an idea on how to do this, but it's a bit clunky. I could add a helper program that fires an event Post-Edit, and in that event I could call an EXNABBTN program that can use the SetWidget function to go grab the data from the form to do the total calculation and return the value I need.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid calling two extra programs every time a row is updated. I am trying to see if the GetValue Helper Procedure can be used to grab data from the form without the need for a EXNABBTN program, but I can't seem to grab anything. Is this something that is even possible with just the EXNABVAL program? I could simply be using the helper procedure wrong, as I am not quite sure what 'file' is referring to in the description of the procedure

A solution would be to use app variables and app variable expressions to display the remaining value. Then, there would be no need to have calls to the backend to do the calculations.

Comment

Working...
    X