• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracing (SQL) errors in CGI joblogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing (SQL) errors in CGI joblogs

Something I have always done in my career, especially for new programs and jobs, is review joblogs. Joblogs can be veritable treasure troves to identify issues that may not necessarily result in halts but are still things that could potentially be wrong or cause problems. Most things you see in joblogs can also easily be rectified, often with simple changes to the program, like missing null indicators for instance, and they take a lot of noise out of the joblog which makes them easier to read and makes it much easier to find real issues. Excessive joblog entries can also cause joblogs to fill up and wrap (which causes loss of entries), or printwrap (which can lead to high number of spooled files in the system and can cause jobs to fail after reaching the maximum number of spoolfiles a job can hold, it can lead to storage issues and on and on. And last but not least: just about any error or exception that ends up in a joblog required system resources to trap, handle and log that exception, which diminishes system performance and application response times. Reviewing joblogs and striving for clean joblogs by researching and addressing issues is a very valuable exercise but is sadly something that is often overlooked....

Having said all that stepping off my joblog soapbox :), I was reviewing joblogs for the CGI's for my Valence instances and there's all kinds of racket in there. The types of messages I see the most appear to be messages about invalid or incorrectly structured SQL statements, which I find concerning because it makes me wonder if that statement even did what it was supposed to do. Some examples:

Job . . : VALENCE User . . : QTMHHTTP Number . . . : 177627

Correlation without qualification occurred for column MGDIV to table
    PRPDEFMTG.
    Keyword AS not expected. Valid tokens: FULL LEFT CROSS INNER RIGHT
    EXCEPTION.
    Correlation without qualification occurred for column MGDIV to table
    PRPDEFMTG.
    Keyword AS not expected. Valid tokens: FULL LEFT CROSS INNER RIGHT
    EXCEPTION.
    Token ) was not valid. Valid tokens: <END-OF-STATEMENT>.

Could you educate us what the best way is to find out what app or datasource or form/button helper program such a statement originated from, so that we can research it and correct it? I've poked around in VVERRLOG or the error app, in logs and various VV files but it would be great if if you could educate us a bit where to look and how best to go about researching these types of issues.

Thanks so much!

-Gadget

Good question, we're working on a blog post to cover this in detail. Stay tuned!

Comment

Working...
    X