• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maximum size of an app variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum size of an app variable

I am building a large string in my Valence app that I want to pass into another app as a parameter. I want to make sure that I don't go over some maximum string size and truncate my string.

What is the maximum size string that I can send from one app to another as a parameter?

What is the maximum size that an app variable can be? Does it depend on how much space is being taken up by other app variables?

Thank you!

The maximum length of a parameter you can pass to a browser application can vary depending browser and other factors, so if you think you could have a very large value to pass as a parameter it's recommend saving the value to a session variable on the backend and then the other application would get the value from the backend.

Example
    Code:
    //save the value before launching the other application
    //
    vvUtility_saveSessVar('myValue':myValue);
    Code:
    //get the value "could be on the startup of the application"
    //
    vvUtility_getSessVar('myValue')
    Last edited by Johnny Major; 09-24-2023, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Hello Jonny, I'm trying to use these procedures and I can't get them working. I saw something that said I might need to send the session ID as well but when I try that with the gSid const, I get an error. Any idea why this doesn't work?

Code:
      vvUtility_saveSessVar('CrewMemberNumber' : appVarCrewmemberNumber);
      vvUtility_saveSessVar('Department' : appVarDepartment);
      vvUtility_saveSessVar('JobCode' : appVarJobCode);
      vvUtility_saveSessVar('QualityorAll' : appVarQualityorAll);
      Code:
      //Retrieve the variable
      appVarCrewMemberNumber = vvUtility_getSessVar('CrewMemberNumber');
      appVarDepartment = vvUtility_getSessVar('Department');
      appVarJobCode = vvUtility_getSessVar('JobCode');
      appVarQualityorAll = vvUtility_getSessVar('QualityorAll');

Comment

In what context is this being used? EXNABBTN based program? If so, during an upload of a file?

Comment

I found the issue. I was using it in a button program. I got it working now. Thanks for the response.
          The code is correct. I was passing blank variables so it seemed like it wasn't working.

Comment

Working...
          X