• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting to Remote Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting to Remote Database

I'm trying to connect to a MySQL database. However, I get a timeout message when I try to create a data source. Is there something specific that needs to be configured beyond the IP address and user credentials? Do you have a more detailed document regarding remote database set up?

Thanks.

You may be able to glean some pertinent remote DB troubleshooting info by activating JDBC logging. Instructions for turning that on are located at the end of the Remote Databases section of the Valence Guide.

Sometimes internal network configurations are to blame -- i.e., the address and/or port of the MySQL database server is not open to receiving hits from the IBM i server. So if you don't see anything useful in the log file you may want to check that.

Comment

I tried the logging, but have no idea what I'm looking at. The only thing I see is a line that tells me there was an error on the connection.

Comment

If that's all you're getting in the log file then it sounds likely you're running into some sort of a network restriction there. Do you have a mechanism to manually connect to your MySQL database from IBM i using a method outside of Valence, just to confirm it is indeed a network issue at play? Or perhaps you can talk to your network admin about some possible blocking points in your network setup.

Comment

Working...
        X