• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwards compatibility between Valence versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwards compatibility between Valence versions

We typically install OS PTFs and software updates/upgrades on the DEV box first, let it simmer there for a few weeks before putting it on the PROD box. I do the same thing with all Valence updates.

I don't know how other shops develop and promote their Valence apps, but we develop all our apps on the DEV box in the Valence DEV instance, and promote them up the stack from DEV to QA (which is also on the DEV box) and from there, to the production instance. We strongly discourage developers from changing apps in any other instance but I've stopped shy of disabling NAB in those other instances.

My question is about compatibility, mostly about backwards compatibility since, as I explained above, the flow from DEV -> QA -> PROD will always be (worst case) from newer release to older release and never the other way around.

It is possible for an app (and I guess I am talking NAB apps for now) that was developed in DEV on 6.1 and exported to PROD on 6.0 to encounter compatibility issues? I can certainly see that a NAB app developed in 6.1 may not be modifiable with NAB 6.0, after all, NAB 6.0 doesn't know anything about Super Column headers that are new in 6.1 for instance. And that's really not an issue for me because I don't want people to maintain NAB apps in the production instance anyway. The question is: is there ever potential for a run time issue, running apps in an older version that were developed on a newer version? Also, consider helper RPG programs. They often use VV files and they are compiled against a Valence library that's (let's say) 6.1. Such programs are installed on production using our CMS, just like all other green screen programs. Which means that same helper program will be compiled by the CMS on the PROD box hitting VV files in a Valence instance that (let's say) 6.0.

To be clear, my question isn't about 6.0 versus 6.1. The question is about the Valence PROD instance being on version X and the Valence DEV instance being on version Y. I don't know if other companies are developing their apps in the same instance they run production in.

This might be a good topic for one of the monthly news letters: Considerations for applying Valence updates. Valence updates demystified! Best practices for Valence instance updates.

Unfortunately, primarily due to database changes, prior releases (6.0) can't run apps created in subsequent releases (6.1). You can push an app forward (6.0 to 6.1), but backward just won't work properly.

I would suggest you create a dedicated Playground instance with the latest 6.1 build, then use VVMIGRATE to copy everything from your Dev 6.0 instance to the Playground 6.1 instance, and use that to validate the new release.

Comment

Okay, thanks Rob. I figured as much.

Yeah I can do that migrate thing. I actually have a SAND instance on 6.1 on the DEV box. But that really doesn't address my concern, that's just a way to get all the 6.0 apps that are live in PROD into a 6.1 instance so we can regression test them prior to updating the live PROD instance.

The issue is developing apps in 6.1 and promoting them to PROD that's still on 6.0. It sounds like I have to update my PROD instance to 6.1 pretty much at the same time I update my DEV instance to 6.1, or at least before promoting the first NAB app built in 6.1 to PROD.

What about an older 6.0 build against a newer 6.0 build, or older 6.1 PROD and newer 6.1 DEV, same issue?

Given that the PROD instance really is just a RUNTIME instance, what is my risk in updating/upgrading a PROD instance from a runtime perspective without "testing" new Valence versions first? Am I being too paranoid? I got paranoid after the fiasco that was IBM's V6R1 OS400 release. Still have a nervous tick left from that. :)

Comment

Intra-release builds are generally fine for moving NAB apps around, it's just going from one major release to the prior one (e.g, 6.1 to 6.0) that's a problem.

Your PROD instance should be fine, particularly if it's strictly being used in a runtime capacity. From the perspective of Valence, upgrading to 6.1 is fundamentally no different than applying any of the prior 6.0 updates, except for some new tables being added (i.e., the SAVF repository) and a couple NAB tables with new columns. The library and IFS directory names all remain the same.

Comment

Working...
        X