• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limit to number of columns in a downloaded Excel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit to number of columns in a downloaded Excel

My boss added 20+ columns to a grid and a custom program Brian wrote for us for creating an Excel bombed. Looks like there is an artificial limit of 50 columns.

When he removes columns so there is only 50, the program works.

Any ideas?

PS: I also found this in the console: GET http://172.24.14.12:7031/valence/vvc...nits0%22%7D%5D 414 (Request-URI Too Large)
    Last edited by MCSchlemme; 11-17-2014, 11:47 AM.

When you say "bombed" do you mean MSGW?

Comment

Originally posted by robert.swanson View Post
      When you say "bombed" do you mean MSGW?
      Yes. I debugged the program and the index was looking past the number of elements in an array (since there were more than 50 columns).

Comment

So can't you just increase the array size and recompile it then? This is a custom program you're talking about, not the vanilla VVOUT, right?

Comment

So can't you just increase the array size and recompile it then? This is a custom program you're talking about, not the vanilla VVOUT, right?
          OK, lets start over.

Now I can't get the Excel download to work because of the last part of the first message, URL too large.

What do I do about that?

Comment

You must've appended that URL note after the initial post. Okay, so you're saying there's no MSGW problem now; rather, the issue is that your custom program's URL is too long. If that's the case, you'll need to adjust it to be something smaller, or change the way it communicates to the back-end. Some browsers like earlier versions of IE have a pretty low character limit for URLs.

Comment

You must've appended that URL note after the initial post. Okay, so you're saying there's no MSGW problem now; rather, the issue is that your custom program's URL is too long. If that's the case, you'll need to adjust it to be something smaller, or change the way it communicates to the back-end. Some browsers like earlier versions of IE have a pretty low character limit for URLs.
              Well, the long URL thing is something related to the grids you built for us.

In a nut shell, Sama/Brian designed our grid to send back only the columns that weren't hidden. The stock procedure sent back all the columns. Not very useful if you have a lot of columns and hide certain ones. When the user asks for an Excel, it only sends back to the 400 the columns that are not hidden. By adding columns to the new grid, it appended the columns to the URL thereby making it too big.

Can I adjust the length of the URL somewhere?

Comment

You can't expand the URL restriction unless you change browsers, and even then that's not a guarantee it'll be sufficient to handle the volume of data. What you can do though is make changes to the front-end source to abbreviate the data being passed plugged into the URL, i.e. use column index numbers instead of column names (or whatever it's currently doing), in which case you'd also need to adjust the back-end to work with the new column references.

Alternatively you could adjust the logic in your app so that prior to doing the download the front-end passes all the grid's non-hidden columns to the back-end in a separate ajax call. The back-end could then store that info in a session variable, and apply that when selecting columns for the download-to-Excel request that comes in afterward.

Comment

You can't expand the URL restriction unless you change browsers, and even then that's not a guarantee it'll be sufficient to handle the volume of data. What you can do though is make changes to the front-end source to abbreviate the data being passed plugged into the URL, i.e. use column index numbers instead of column names (or whatever it's currently doing), in which case you'd also need to adjust the back-end to work with the new column references.

Alternatively you could adjust the logic in your app so that prior to doing the download the front-end passes all the grid's non-hidden columns to the back-end in a separate ajax call. The back-end could then store that info in a session variable, and apply that when selecting columns for the download-to-Excel request that comes in afterward.
                  OK, we'll figure out how to fix this.

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                  X