• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing defaults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing defaults

I'm using the plugin Valence.plugin.PagingToolbarSlider which allows me to retrieve 10, 25 (default), 50, 100, 250 or 500 records.

I'm using tab panels in a viewport. The data I'm dealing with is highly summarized, so based on the tab accessed, I retrieve from 1 to 150 or so records (and everywhere in between).

My question is, for this app, what can I change or override to load the records in a tab?

Thoughts/suggestions/ideas:
    1. How about a check box on the plugin or a value in the drop down that says "Load all"?
    2. How about allowing the user to key a number in the input field on the plugin?
    3. How about a configuration setting or value to tell Valence how many records to load? (by tab, grid, etc)

Also, I know there is a refresh button on the plugin. How about a control on the plugin like F19=Start automatic refresh on the WRKACTJOB command? Our exec's (and some of the plant floor personnel) would love this because everytime they look at their monitor, the data would be new. (within the refresh timeframe, of course).

Should this be in the feature request section?

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I do have a few thoughts to add.

1. How about a check box on the plugin or a value in the drop down that says "Load all"?

This could be dangerous. What if the file has 100,000 records. You typically never want to load more than 500 records at a time...even that is pushing it. This has the potential of quickly locking up your browser.

2. How about allowing the user to key a number in the input field on the plugin?

I would fear the same problem in this case. What if the user typed in a very large number of rows.

3. How about a configuration setting or value to tell Valence how many records to load? (by tab, grid, etc)

You can pass the "pageSize" configuration option to the toolbar to set this initial amount of records to load.

I like the idea of being able to set an automatic refresh of your data within the toolbar plugin. We will add this feature to the wish list...thanks again for your suggestions. I hope I was able to address your three other thoughts to your satisfaction.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the implecations 1 and 2 could have in certain conditions. In this application, we will always have relatively small number of high summarized records.

Using the pageSize config option is definately the right choice here.

Thanks...

Comment

Sean,

After trying a change to the pageSize config as you suggested, I see why it IS dangerous to load too many records. The 400 just throws at ton of records at the browser and the browser doesn't like it very much.

After 25+ years on the 400, I continue to be amazed how good IBM made this box. After trying things I've done thousands of times on the 400 on some other platform, I really realize how much I love this box!

Comment

Yes it's a great box...that's why CNX has stuck with it all these years. IBM i + Valence = one of the best application servers on the planet.

Comment

I agree 100%!

Comment

Working...
              X