• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready, set, go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready, set, go!

I've been reading manuals, trying examples and examining other people's code on and off for months. I'm think I'm ready to create my first EXTJS front end.

As a review, here's how I basically see the whole EXTJS thing.
    1. Containers hold other containers or components.
    2. Layouts organize the containters within other containers and components within containers.
    3. Every EXTJS object can have many configuration options to control it's look, behaviour and interactions with your program or other EXTJS objects.
    4. The syntax can be diffucult because of all the {[]},;'", etc.

Is EXT Designer a good choice for creating the front end?

Once it all clicks, I'll dive in head first and probably not come up for air for weeks!

Please comment on the following statement on how I think things should go:
    1. Choose a container, either a 'Container' or a 'Panel'. Set the layout for other objects in the 'parent' container.
    2. Add 1 or more child panels, based on the application.
    3. Add 1 or more components to the child panels.
    4. Look at the Valence examples to tie it all together.

Thanks for your comments...

I think generally you have the right idea so I won't respond to your points one-by-one except to say they are all correct observations. I would add though that the Ext JS API docs are very important to understand. If you are able to read those docs and look at example code and really understand what the docs are telling you then you will be very successful. Also, I'd like to strengthen your point about the Valence examples. Many developers who are just getting start can be very successful following those, even if they don't fully understand what's going on in some area. Then a deeper understanding will come with time.

Comment

Thanks for your responses Richard.

One question you didn't answer was about using EXT Designer to design the front end.

I've been using Aptana Studio 3.x and it helps some what, however I'm still cutting and pasting code frags.

Today I spent 1.5 hours looking for incorrect syntax involving [{}]), etc.

I just finally gave up and moved on to my other daily duties.

The diffuculty with EXTJS syntax be my downfall.

I hope you can tell me that EXT Designer is the magic bullet, because I REALLY don't want to go back to WebSmart!

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
      X