• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IE 8 - "Stop running this script?" message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 8 - "Stop running this script?" message

Hi,

I've got an app that's loading a grouping grid with data via vvOut_toJSON. The amount of data itself (~1500 rows) is not large but the processing on the backend that prepares the data for the grid's store is pretty intense and the grid takes a good 4-5 seconds to load in Chrome(v.31) and IE9. I'm not really worried about the length of time it takes to load - our users would be fine with it.

My problem is that the majority of our user base will be accessing the app with IE8 in a Citrix terminal server environment. IE8 does not like the amount of time the grid takes to load and issues the following "Stop running this script?" message:

"A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive."

I found a registry change that would supposedly prevent this message from appearing but I haven't been given the "ok" to apply it. Ideally, IE8 would be upgraded in our Citrix environment but I don't have control of that piece either.

I tried buffering the store which actually solves the IE8 problem but then my grouping grid is "broken" - can't expand/collapse the groups. Based on the nature of the data and its groups, it doesn't make sense to break the data up into multiple pages.

I'm using Ext JS 4.1 in an MVC app. Anyone ever run into similar issues?

Thanks,
    Eva

Interesting environment requirements! Would something like this solve your problem:

Mask the screen.

Submit one ajax request that creates a process which preps the data. Return success.

Have a timed task, which can submit a request every 15 seconds to see if the data is ready. Should quickly return success and a flag indicating if the data is done.

Once the data is ready, load the store from the temp file created.

unmask the screen.

Comment

I think I follow your suggestion and it sounds like it would work but can you clarify a couple of things:

- The grid's store is currently set to autoload: true. I would need to remove that and put the mask, the ajax request, and a call to the timed task that you mentioned in the onLaunch function of the grid, perhaps?

- If the data takes 4 to 5 seconds to prepare wouldn't setting the timed task to run every 15 seconds cause a longer delay? The first request would see that the data is not ready yet but the second request wouldn't run for another 15 seconds. By that time, the data would have been ready for 10 seconds. Am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by EvaY View Post

- The grid's store is currently set to autoload: true. I would need to remove that and put the mask, the ajax request, and a call to the timed task that you mentioned in the onLaunch function of the grid, perhaps?
        Yes. Then depending how your program is written in RPG, you may have to rewrite that, and you can either call a load on the store, or load data into it from an ajax call.

Originally posted by EvaY View Post
        - If the data takes 4 to 5 seconds to prepare wouldn't setting the timed task to run every 15 seconds cause a longer delay? The first request would see that the data is not ready yet but the second request wouldn't run for another 15 seconds. By that time, the data would have been ready for 10 seconds. Am I misunderstanding your suggestion?
        I'm sorry, I had misread, I thought you originally said 4-5 minutes. I'm shocked you get the long running script after just 4-5 seconds!

In that case, I'd poll it every second or two as long as your poll call is short.

Comment

Ok great... I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

(And, for the record, I was shocked about the message too... good thing the annoyance was taken care of in IE9!)

Comment

Working...
          X