• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[HELPED] getting started (with Nitro App Builder)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HELPED] getting started (with Nitro App Builder)?

I'm trying to wrap my head around Valence and i've got a few questions that i'm not finding an answer to.

1. How do i create a CRUD application with Nitro? I can create a grid, but i can't find a way to create the maintenance.

2. When i create a Nitro App, does it create rpg code? I created a grid(TAPE01). I can not find any references to it either RPG or
    or HTML.
    Can you provide a simple explanation how this is put together?

3. Sencha touch. Do i have to do something special to create a Sencha touch application or is it inherent when i create a Nitro
    App?

I'm sure i'll have more soon.

Thanks
    MIke

Check out the sample applications in the examples folder for models to reference or copy.

Consider training on site in Chicago: http://www.cnxcorp.com/training/
    Last edited by eweiler; 10-02-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Mike,

The Nitro App Builder tool is really intended more for generating query and charting-type apps, not CRUD apps (at least not in 3.2). Nitro does not create any back-end RPG programs, rather it runs dynamic SQL statements based on your data source definitions.

If you're ready to dive into true web and mobile app development with Valence -- where you can create fully functional apps with features that are not restricted by app-building "wizards" -- you need to spend some time mastering the front-end code, specifically the Ext JS and/or Sencha Touch frameworks, along with the basics of JavaScript. As Eric said, that's what we teach in our biannual training courses, which are geared explicitly toward RPG developers learning how to do MVC development with these frameworks. You may also be able to glean quite a bit on your own from working through the examples, the Help Desk app in particular.

-Rob

Comment

As Rob pointed out, an application created through "Nitro App Builder" does not create any new back-end programs. It does however create a front-end folder structure that can be used to add additional functionality to the application. After the app was created, there will be a new folder under the "nitroapps" directory. In this directory you will also find a folder named "_controllersamples". In this folder, "main-5.js" is an example controller that shows how to add crud functionality to your application.

So suppose the name of the app you created was "myApp". You would modify your Main.js file (under app/controller) to look like that of "main-5". If you give it a try, create a new forum thread should you have any questions.

Comment

Working...
        X