• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] the dreaded scope...?? (timing issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED] the dreaded scope...?? (timing issues)

If you want to use a variable sent back by an Ajax request, how can you make the function "wait for it"...
    in the code below, there are 2 console.log(pdfurl)... one inside the ajax and one outside... the outside seems to run before the one inside the ajax.. so my code that needs to use that variable doesn't work... I really don't want to put the other code inside the Ajax request.. any suggestions?

for example:
    Code:
        onDoubleClickThumbnail: function(view, rec, item, index, e, eopts) {
    		var clid = rec.get('CLNUMBER');
    		var bkid = rec.get('BKID');
    		var pgid = rec.get('PGID');
    		var imgpath = rec.get('PGPATH');
            var pdfurl;
            var me = this;

Ext.Ajax.request({
    			url: 'vvcall.pgm',
    			params: {
    				pgm: 'mcb002r',
    				action: 'showpdf',
    				clid: clid,
    				bkid: bkid,
    				pgid: pgid,
    				imgpath: imgpath
    			},
    			scope: me,
    			success: function(response) {
    				var d = Ext.decode(response.responseText);
    				if (d.SUCCESS === '1') {
    					pdfurl = '/cache/' + d.PDFDOC; 
                                            console.log(pdfurl);   //<-works....
    				} else {
    					alert('error');
    				}
    			}
    		});
            console.log(pdfurl);  //<--returns undefined...

You are setting the value of pdfurl after the return of the ajax call (in the success function).

Comment

Originally posted by mwmayer4 View Post
      I really don't want to put the other code inside the Ajax request..
      Is there a reason why you can't stick the code inside your Ajax success function?

Comment

why... because it's a lot of code and I wanted it to be in another function that i may want to call from other places.. just trying to keep it much easier to read and follow..

Comment

So just create a function with your logic outside of the ajax call and then within the sucess of the ajax call put the call to your function. That will keep it clean.

Comment

Sometimes I make this stuff more complicated than it is. I guess I figured if the variable wasn't available after the Ajax, I wouldn't be able to do that. But it worked like a charm.
            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X