• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maybe a bug in the Form Helper RPG program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe a bug in the Form Helper RPG program

Hello, I have found something that feels like a bug. I have a form widget with 3 fields. 1 field is a drop down. My form helper program validates the numbers entered into the forms. The form helper runs "At form creation and each time a field is changed or loses focus". The works well as long as the user tabs out of the field or presses enter.
    The form helper is also in charge of displaying a Save button if all the values are valid. What I noticed can happen is that a user can fill in the fields, get the save button to appear, then delete the value from the field and immediately hit the save button. What really interesting is that you can NOT do that same thing with the drop down. If you try changing the values in the dropdown, the form helper immediately runs. I only have trouble with the text input fields. Check out the screenshot. I can hit Save with a blank value if I leave the cursor in the field. If I try deleting anything out of the drop down, it removes my save button immediately.
    What this causes me to do is put the same validation in my button program as I have in my form helper.
    What do you all think?
    Attached Files

A change to a combo box field immediately triggers the form helper to be called. In this case, we know that full changed value of the field (because the user can only select from the results).

A textfield behaves differently because we do not know exactly when the user is done changing the value. We do not want to call the form helper for each character typed so we elected to call it when the user leaves the field. I can see in your case that this is not entirely helpful.

Maybe we can look into refining how/when textfields call the form helper program but would we would have to think on this one.

Comment

I understand Sean. I handle this situation by also putting some validation processes in my button helper program that runs when Save is used. I don't expect many people to clear out values and then try to hit the save button, but when we test our apps, we try to find any and all things that could go wrong.

Comment

The latest version (6.1.20221219) now allows you to specify the number of milliseconds to wait before making the call to your form helper. This can be specified at the field level if need be. Otherwise, the default is 1000 milliseconds (1 second). I would suggest changing your form helper to no longer call on field blur as this will no longer be necessary unless you care to know if the user does not change a value.

Comment

Thanks for the update Sean.

Comment

Working...
          X