• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valence 4.0 (all builds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valence 4.0 (all builds)

Versions:

4.0.20141103.0, released on November 3, 2014
    4.0.20141020.0, released on October 20, 2014
    4.0.20141006.0, released on October 6, 2014
    4.0.20140818.0, released on August 18, 2014
    4.0.20140725.0, released on July 25, 2014
    4.0.20140709.0, released on July 9, 2014
    4.0.20140707.0, released on July 7, 2014
    4.0.20140619.0, released on June 19, 2014
    4.0.20140616.0, released on June 16, 2014
    4.0.20140604.0, released on June 4, 2014
    4.0.20140519.0, released on May 19, 2014
    4.0.20140515.0, released on May 15, 2014
    4.0.20140507.0, released on May 7, 2014
    4.0.20140505.0, released on May 5, 2014
    4.0.20140421.0, released on April 21, 2014
    4.0.20140407.0, released on April 7, 2014
    4.0.20140331.0, released on March 31, 2014
    4.0.20140325.0, released on March 25, 2014
    4.0.20140320.0, released on March 20, 2014
    4.0.20140319.0, released on March 19, 2014
    4.0.20140317.1, released on March 17, 2014
    4.0.20140317.0, released on March 17, 2014

About this Release:

This is the general release of Valence Framework 4.0. These release notes are intended to document what has been added, changed and fixed since the last Valence Framework 3.2 maintenance release and provide general information about the Valence Framework.

Licensing:

By obtaining and using the Valence Framework, it is your responsibility to ensure that you and your company are following the proper licensing terms of the product. Be sure to review the licensing options in the Valence Store and also review the Licensing & Suport FAQs page before downloading and using the Valence Framework.

Installing This Release:
    • Go to the downloads page to see what releases are available. If this release is superseded by another release it may no longer be available.
    • If this release is available for download then click the link to the download installation file. Be sure to download the correct version of the installer for your PC operating system and for your IBM i OS (V5R4, V6R1 or V7R1).
    • It is highly recommend that you perform the installation from a PC or Mac that is on the same internal network as your IBM i. Performing the installation through a slow WAN connection or via a VPN connection may work but can take many hours to install.
    • The download is a zip file. To launch the installer extract the zip file and double click on the ValenceInstall.exe file on your Windows PC, or launch the ValenceInstall.app file on your Mac. Follow the prompts to install Valence Framework 4.0 onto your IBM i. Note that you may need administrative rights on your PC or Mac to launch the installer.
    • It is highly recommended that you use QSECOFR to perform the installation to avoid permissions issues.
    • This release will install to library VALENCE40 and ifs path /valence-4.0. It will also install an Apache server instance named VALENCE40.
    • If you installed a previous beta version of Valence 4.0 you must first completely uninstall the previous version using the instructions in the section below entitled "Uninstalling Valence Framework 4.0." Once the previous version of Valence Framework 4.0 beta is uninstalled you can then run the installer to install the newer version.
    • If you have Valence Framework versions 3.2 and prior installed on your system you may install this release without affecting those earlier versions.
    • Once installed you can access the Valence Portal with the link http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:7040 where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your IBM i.
    • The default user for administrative login to the portal after installation is vvadmin with password vvadmin. However you may also log in with any valid IBM i profile.
    • If using the vvadmin profile, it is highly recommended that you go into the Portal Admin app in the Valence Portal and add an IBM i user cross reference to vvadmin with security officer authority (like QSECOFR) so you will not have permissions issues.
    • To convert portal data from Valence 3.2 use the VVCNV40 program (see the Migrating from 3.2 Guide for more info).

Updating an Existing Valence Framework 4.0 Install

If you are installing over a previous Valence Framework 4.0 installation, the Valence Installer will automatically detect the existing installation and perform an update, retaining all Valence Portal data and settings. Note, if you have an early beta version of Valence Framework 4.0, that version should be completely uninstalled before attempting to install a Valence Framework 4.0 general release.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20141103.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro AutoCode: Corrected bug with column sorting.
    • Valence Portal: Corrected truncation of environments on login (for sites with 10+ active environments).
    • RPG Toolkit: Corrected bug in vvUtility_ovrUsr that could cause a MSGW when swapping between IBM i and Valence users in the same instance
    • RPG Toolkit: Adjusted logic in vvUtility_setLibToEnv procedure to support calling with 3 parms.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20141020.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Portal Admin: Adjusted Apps to always store 5250 program names in upper case.
    • Portal Admin: Adjusted Categories so that newly added or rearranged categories no longer require users to log out/back on again to see the changes.
    • RPG Toolkit: Corrected extra space being encoded for line feeds in vvUtility_encode.
    • RPG Toolkit: Adjusted "property" field in VVDSUTIL4 from 10A to 128A to accommodate long SQL names.
    • RPG Toolkit: Added user ID to 569 error message triggered when vvUtility_ovrUsr fails to complete (i.e., due to a disabled IBM i profile).
    • RPG Toolkit: Corrected issue that was causing vvUtility_ovrUsr to unnecessarily report and error when "Reset Job User" is deactivated in Settings and current user of CGI job already matches the session user.
    • IBM i Access for Web: Corrected "program not found" error that would be caused when called 5250 program is not upper-cased in App definition.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20141006.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro AutoCode: Added logic to better accommodate SQL statements containing “where,” “order by,” “group by,” “having” or “with” clauses.
    • Nitro AutoCode: Corrected MSGW condition caused by AutoCode program descriptions or app names containing single quotes.
    • Nitro iAdmin: Resolved issue that could cause looping condition to occur when viewing QSYSOPR messages.
    • Nitro iAdmin: Corrected MSGW condition that would arise when a user with insufficient special authority attempted to run certain functions.
    • Nitro iAdmin: Changed spool file list in mobile app to a paging grid (instead of load all).
    • Nitro iAdmin: Job queue hold/release in desktop app were non-functional. This has been corrected.
    • Valence Portal: Corrected problem with fonts being blocked when running portal under SSL.
    • Valence Portal: Corrected issue that would cause a MSGW condition when disabled IBM i users attempted to log in.
    • Valence Portal: Ensure server polling ceases immediately upon logout to avoid unnecessary “invalid session” exception messages in error log.
    • Valence Portal: Optional parms specified at the app level were not being passed properly to the back-end. This has been corrected.
    • Valence Portal: Substitution variables in apps are now resolved at time of app launch rather than at time of login. For site with large numbers of apps containing substitution variables, this results in a much snappier login performance.
    • Valence Portal: Corrected memory leak issue that could arise in certain browsers after successive launches and closings of apps.
    • Valence Portal: Apps initiated as autostart now have their access logged the same as apps launched manually from the launchpad and obey designated launch mode.
    • Valence Portal: Corrected issue that could cause apps to not be removed from autostart as expected when requested via “Remove from AutoStart” option.
    • Valence Portal: Logic added to support Beta testing of new native Valence Portal for iOS available in Apple's App Store (iOS only). To be officially introduced in Valence Framework 4.1.
    • Portal Admin: Users - Corrected garbled substitution characters when attempting to change IBM i password to an invalid value.
    • Portal Admin: Users - Corrected issue with new IBM i passwords being incorrectly rejected with a CPF22F5 error.
    • Portal Admin: Users/Apps/Groups - Checking to the right of a checkbox in any list would cause all other rows to be unchecked. This has been corrected.
    • Portal Admin: Users/Apps/Groups - Filter conditions were not being reset when switching from one entity to another. This has been corrected.
    • Portal Admin: Users/Apps/Groups/Categories - Logic was adjusted in all VVADM programs to improve performance on save.
    • Portal Admin: Settings - Session lock timeout is now optional.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_replaceSubs - Corrected exit program parm; ensure Valence environment (lib list) is overridden prior to call.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_encode - Adusted to ignore carriage returns altogether when encoding to JSON.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_parse - Added additional error-trapping for numeric overflow errors (i.e., as might be encountered in vvIn_DS).
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_parse / vvIn_JSON - Updated to work with much larger field sizes (applies to V6R1 and higher only).
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_ovrUsr - Now logs an error and aborts program call if override of current user to IBM i profile fails (i.e., due to profile being disabled).
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_saveSessVar - Value parm expanded to 4096A, matching size of VVVALUE in VVSESSVARS.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvOut_*** - Corrected issue where extremely long responses exceeding 64K would sometimes truncate two bytes mid-string.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvOut_*** - All CSV routines now end each line with LF+CR (instead of just CR), per CSV standard.
    • RPG Toolkit: VVSRVPGM - Activation group of service program changed to *CALLER to address issues with exported constants like SQ.
    • RPG Toolkit: VVMAIL - Now accepts an “E” response as second parm from exit program to indicate an error occurred. Unlike a “1” response (indicating abort), the exit program is responsible in this case for sending the user an error message.
    • Test RPG Call App: Use of an invalid dev token was producing an inaccurate error message. Now says “Invalid token” instead of “Session no longer active”.
    • Active Sessions App: Corrected issue that was causing login and last activity timestamp columns to show as blank.
    • VVCNV40: Adjusted migration routine to accommodate potential existence of active sessions and dev token records.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140818.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro iAdmin: corrected issue in VVSYSUTIL that could cause a MSGW condition when viewing sysopr messages.
    • Valence Portal: resolved issue with "Max Open" app setting not being observed.
    • Valence Portal: on the launchpad, fixed problem when using the keyboard shortcuts to launch a 5250 app--was causing an additional plus icon to appear in the tab list.
    • Portal Admin: in Group membership on apps, fixed problem where under certain conditions a newly added group could appear as belonging to apps to which it had not yet been assigned.
    • Portal Admin: improved load performance in Categories for sites with very large numbers of apps and categories.
    • Portal Admin: corrected literal that displays in Users when an invalid email address is specified.
    • File Upload: changed VVUPLOAD to always treat a .csv upload as text--certain conditions were treating is as binary.
    • Instance Manager: changed to not allow certain special characters in directory name (i.e., $).
    • RPG Toolkit: changed vvOut_execSQLtoJSON to not include a total count when vvOut.singleRow is set to '1' since it's not an array.
    • RPG Toolkit: in vvOut_toJSONpair added logic to accommodate commas as decimal separators when applicable (per system value QDECFMT); ensure leading zero is included on decimal values for JSON compliance.
    • RPG Toolkit: adjusted vvUtility to avoid overflow problem in parseIntoArray if length of parsed element exceeds size of array element.
    • Test RPG Call: changed to reset all field error messages whenever "Test Call" is clicked.
    • IBM i Access for Web: fixed issue where [#CPF4131REPLY] in macro would sometimes cause [#SESSIONID] not to be substituted properly.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140725.0 Since the Previous Build
    • New Example: added "Employee Pics" mobile example app to demonstrate taking and selecting photos on your mobile device and uploading them to your IBM i through Valence; example app is designed for iOS and Android mobile but is also operational from Google Chrome desktop browser.
    • Valence Touch Portal: removed from Beta. Valence Touch Portal is now a fully-supported feature of Valence Framework 4.0. To access the Valence Touch Portal open up the browser on your mobile device and navigate to [system_name_or_ip]:7040. If you are navigating from a supported mobile device the automatic device detection will bring you to the Valence Touch Portal login.
    • Valence Touch Portal: url was changed to [system_name_or_ip]:7040/mobile/Portal/build/package/Portal/index.html. It is recommend to simply navigate to [system_name_or_ip]:7040 to allow the automatic device detection to navigate you automatically to the proper link. You may need to clear cache on devices for the new redirect to work properly after installing this release.
    • Valence Touch Portal: fixed problem where the portal could get stuck in an infinite loop asking you to reload; may need to clear cache on devices to obtain the fix after installing this release.
    • Valence Desktop Portal: fixed change password to allow passwords greater than 10 characters if system settings allow.
    • Instance Manager: corrected bug in copy logic that would give an errant "library already exists" message.
    • Instance Manager: changed logic to ignore minor exception messages that could cause a failure in copy and update processes.
    • RPG Toolkit: added new vvIn_base64toFile procedure to simplify the process of uploading images from mobile apps (see new EXEMPMAINT RPG program for usage example).
    • RPG Toolkit: in vvOut_toJSON added logic to log an error if vvOut.object is specified in conjunction with vvOut.field* (must be one or the other, not both).
    • Valence Portal: adjusted login program and users admin so a deactivated IBM i user profile will show as deactivated in the corresponding Valence profile as well (and vice-versa), when using IBM i login method.
    • RPG Toolkit: changed vvOut to accommodate issue with truncated spreadsheet data when creating xml file on systems with non-English CCSID.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140709.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Portal Admin: build 4.0.20140707.0 had an invalid path specified for Portal Admin causing it to fail on launch; this build corrects that path.
    • Hook.js: removed obsolete navtoolbarready function.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140707.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro AutoCode: fixed​ issue where​ trailing CR/LF​ in SQL statement could cause a MSGW​ condition​.
    • Nitro AutoCode: fixed bug​ that was​ not allowing column headings to be overridden.
    • Valence Portal: Valence.app.launch({app:xxxx}) changed to account for max open setting (see http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1449).
    • Nitro File Editor: "Form" button was incorrectly working as a "Copy" (write)​ function​; changed it ​so it now works to edit/update​ an existing record.
    • Nitro File Editor: increased size of date fields in the Form window.
    • Nitro iAdmin: corrected error when viewing outqs exceeding 9,999 files.​ Max is now 32,000.​
    • Nitro Source Editor: corrected issue causing search within folder function to always show empty results.
    • Instance Manager: instance name and library field ​display ​width increased.
    • Instance Manager: fixed bug which allowed multiple copies ​ or updates​ to be run simultaneously; now forces to run only one at a time.
    • Instance Manager: fixed bug in runCommand procedure that caused improper error responses in some cases.
    • IBM i Access for Web: ensure *5250 apps always launch serially within the same session, not in parallel (causes issues with session variables).
    • IBM i Access for Web: can now override the default macro used for program calls.
    • ​IBM i Access for Web: can now specify a custom program to return substitution variables, using format [##PGM_NAME##]. See Valence 5250 guide for details.​
    • RPG Toolkit: VVMAIL ​n​ow trims excess spaces from email address and alias.
    • Valence Installer: corrected issue that was updating IBM i Access for Web User Path setting on V6R1/V7R1 installations with value intended only for V5R4.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140619.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro AutoCode: corrected a problem with missing templates introduced in the previous build. If you are experiencing any problems with Nitro AutoCode you should update to this release.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140616.0 Since the Previous Build

• Nitro AutoCode: file maintenance apps now support generation of much larger files (previously developers could not open the AutoCode projects in Sencha Aarchitect for file maintenance apps over files with more than about 100 fields).
    • Nitro AutoCode: adjusted front-end logic to support IBM i files with field names containing characters that don't always play well in JavaScript or Sencha Architect (i.e.: #, @, $).
    • Nitro AutoCode: now uses column headings instead of field descriptions as default grid headings where available.
    • Valence Portal: added support for Ext JS 3.4 to assist sites migrating older apps into Valence 4.0.
    • Valence Portal: name of current environment was not showing properly in "Active Sessions" app after switching to a different environment--fixed.
    • Valence Portal: new keyboard shortcut added: hitting shift-esc now brings up a list of active apps for the current session. Use the left and right arrow keys and ENTER to switch to a different active app.
    • Portal Admin: users are now prohibited from adding to an environment any library that is already in the system portion of the library list.
    • Portal Admin: upon saving a change to an app, user or group, an immediate refresh of the apps in the launch pad is triggered for the session making the changes (for other sessions the changes will be reflected on the next poll, typically within 30 seconds).
    • RPG Toolkit: vvIn_DS now traps field errors instead of going into MSGW status (i.e., overflow error when attempting to stuff a 6 digit numeric value from the browser into a 5,0 field in the RPG data structure). Errant conditions are listed in the "Errors" app.
    • RPG Toolkit: added UCS2 literals uOB, uCB and uFS to vvOut_Initialize for use in the vvUtility_replaceSubs procedure, used now in lieu of character-based special chars (OB, CB, FS) to address unique CCSID scenario encountered in EU.
    • RPG Toolkit: corrected obscure bug in vvUtility_parseIntoCharArray and vvUtility_parseIntoUcs2Array procedures that could cause an infinite loop when parsing strings with a blank separator.
    • Test RPG Call: program name was being validated using the current session environment rather than the environment associated with the developer token--fixed.
    • Test RPG Call: now posts an error message when the environment associated with dev token is inactive or not valid for the associated user.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140604.0 STABLE Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro AutoCode: reduced authority check restriction on CRTSQLRPGI command from *ALL to *USE.
    • Nitro AutoCode: corrected issue that could cause garbage characters to appear in RPG source generated for spreadsheet column headings.
    • Nitro AutoCode: added logic to accommodate single quotes in column headings.
    • Nitro AutoCode: improved performance when validating a file with many fields
    • Nitro AutoCode: addressed performance issue when using select all/deselect all columns on files with many fields
    • Nitro AutoCode: increased timeout on RPG compile to better accommodate slower systems
    • Valence Portal: Valence.app.close method was not functioning properly in IE. Fixed.
    • Valence Portal: Hook.js once cached becomes difficult for browser to get any changes. Added a cache buster to Hook.js download.
    • Portal Admin: user making changes will see their launch pad reload immediately on each save of an app/user/group/category (no longer need to wait for auto refresh).
    • Errors App: Valence login ID and IBM i user ID fields in detail panel were always showing as blank values. Fixed.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvOut_execSQLtoJSON was improperly encoding values of varying character fields starting with "{" or "[", despite having vvOut.treatAsConfig set to "1". Fixed.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvOut spreadsheet routines: added support for Valence Portal settings substitution strings (i.e., [ROOT_PATH] ) in the spreadsheet template path (vvOut.ssTemplate).
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_isLocked: corrected pointer error that would occur if less than 4 parms were passed.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_initJava: adjusted to ensure all Valence constants are initialized. This change allows VVMAIL and VVPDF to be used outside of the Valence Portal.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_editC: removed leading space from returned value.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140519.0 Since the Previous Build
    • New Example: full-featured mobile customer maintenance app designed with Sencha Architect, demonstrates Valence design methodology for mobile apps including adjusting itself for phone or tablet usage; will be automatically added to the portal on update.
    • New Example: desktop file upload example now included; will be automatically added to the portal on update.
    • Nitro AutoCode: now verifies user has authority to write RPG source and execute compile command before proceeding with the app generation.
    • Nitro AutoCode: fixed issue that would cause manually entered SQL statements with lots of spaces (for example an SQL statement that was copied & pasted from STRSQL) to fail to compile properly on the RPG side.
    • Valence Portal: EXEXITPGM: updated example code to better demonstrate how to abort a login attempt in Valence 4.0.
    • Valence Portal: added new exit program for optionally overriding the default user template at login (to control portal authority on new users logging in for the first time).
    • Valence Portal: corrected issue that was causing session login exit program to only be called when switching environments.
    • Portal Admin: devtokens: corrected problems with edit option in context menu, token expiration dates beyond the year 2040 and user case-sensitivity.
    • Test RPG call: added more detail to error messages triggered by an invalid or expired developer token.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140515.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro AutoCode: fixed problem causing grid inquiry apps based on SQL statements to fail to generate whenever single quotes existed in the SQL string.
    • Nitro AutoCode: added ability to select all/deselect all fields on all checkbox columns.
    • Instance Manager: fixed problem with updates to file objects, core Valence apps and portal settings not being propagated properly to non-base instances.
    • RPG Toolkit: in vvMail passing attachments by pointer was not working properly--fixed.
    • Portal Admin: Settings: list of programs that bypass authority globally is now upper-cased upon save. Previously an RPG program entered in lower case would result in the program not being recognized as bypassing authority.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvSecure_isLoggedIn: 5th through 13th parms can now be passed as *OMIT.
    • Valence Portal: when a user was deauthorized to an environment, in some cases the user's subsequent login attempt would result in a one-time "variable too small to hold result" error--this has been fixed.
    • Valence Portal: as a new option for bypassing the login, VVLOGIN can now be called directly to "pre-generate" a session. This is currently in Beta, instructions will be added as a separate section in the "Accessing Valence" guide once testing with Beta customers is complete.
    • Test RPG Call: Ext JS and Sencha Touch models were not including a totalProperty on the reader config. Valence RPG Toolkit procedures return a totalProperty named totalCount so a config was added to the model generations for totalProperty: 'totalCount'.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140507.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Nitro AutoCode: added better error messages on record save (like "duplicate record" instead of just "SQL -803")
    • Nitro AutoCode: fixed problems with Read Only fields in file maintenance autocode
    • Valence Portal: fix problem with app autostart--if autostart app launches another app that second app could close itself but then messes up the portal.
    • Portal Admin: fixed grid state problem which would mess up the context menu trigger and move it to the right
    • Portal Admin: Settings: save was causing an error on portal timeout setting on every save, even if wasn't really an error

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140505.0 Since the Previous Build
    • *NEW BETA FEATURE* Nitro AutoCode: back by popular demand, this completely redesigned NitroAuto generates inquiry and file maintenance apps in seconds. AutoCode creates a Sencha Architect project for the user interface, a companion RPG program and configures the Valence Portal. The user interface generated by AutoCode can be opened in Sencha Architect and extended by the developer. This feature is currently in beta status.
    • Valence Installer: fixed problem where data structures were not getting restored during an update.
    • Valence Portal: fixed problem with timeout not resetting during user actions.
    • Valence Portal: corrected issue that was generating "no HTTP_COOKIE" exceptions in the log file whenever a development session was initiated through Sencha Architect
    • Portal Admin: Settings: changed to not allow poll interval to be less than logout period.
    • Examples: Customer Maintenance demo app was missing icons
    • NItro Query: corrected issue with path of generated query app containing invalid characters under certain CCSIDs
    • Nitro iAdmin: cpu chart was not updating time properly
    • RPG Toolkit: fixed problem withvvOut_execSQLtoCSV that could cause routine to prematurely stop writing after first row.
    • RPG Toolkit: at customer request vvMail now sets mail.smtp.localhost to match mail.smtp.host prior to send.

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140421.0 Since the Previous Build

• *NEW BETA FEATURE* Nitro iAdmin Desktop: manage your IBM i from your desktop browser. Time saving features let you manage messages, users, jobs, outqs, devices and more. Nitro iAdmin Desktop is currently considered a beta feature.
    • Valence Portal: corrected issue with password authentication on login and password change with Valence-specific (non-IBM i) profiles
    • Valence Portal: session kill timeout for desktop was killing sessions even though they were active per http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1418
    • Fixed Valence.app.close; was not working per http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1409
    • Fixed Valence.util.Helper.getUserName; was not working
    • IBM i Access for Web: improved V5R4 support

Changed in Valence Framework 4.0.20140407.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Valence Installer: during an update now automatically adds any new apps and settings to the Valence Portal database.
    • Added new Spool File Viewer app
    • VVADM_APPS - corrected JSON error that would occur when default group in Settings is not set.
    • vvIn_Array: fixed a bug that would cause a varying size field array to not be populated properly
    • Test RPG Call: output of JS and XDC for Sencha Touch models incorrectly used "root" property instead of "rootProperty"--fixed.
    • Nitro Source Editor: clicking the Close all tabs button did not close all tabs when user clicks confirm--fixed.

Changes in Valence Framework 4.0.20140331.0 Since the Previous Build
    • *NEW BETA FEATURE* Valence Portal: added new Valence Framework 4.0 Touch Portal. Navigating to http://[system_name]:7040 will now redirect to the new touch portal if Valence detects that you are using a compatible device, otherwise it will redirect to the desktop portal. The Valence Framework 4.0 Touch Portal should be considered a BETA feature until its designation is changed by CNX (likely before May 1, 2014).
    • *NEW FEATURE* Touch Examples: along with the addition of the new Touch Portal, two examples are also included. The Load All List example is designed with Sencha Architect 3 and the Touch Actions example is intended to demonstrate to developers how to perform certain actions on apps from within the Touch Portal. More Touch examples will be added in upcoming builds.
    • Test RPG Call: added creation of JS and Sencha Architect models for Sencha Touch.
    • Valence Portal: in some cases username in top right of Portal was encoded--fixed.
    • Portal Admin: set a default sort sequence in Groups, Environments and Apps.
    • Portal Admin: Apps: a new indicator now shows which apps are Nitro Query apps
    • RPG Toolkit: vvIn: adjusted to accommodate new dash-based date formats (such as MM-DD-YYYY) in Settings / Portal Appearance
    • RPG Toolkit: vvPdf: attempting to create a non-landscape (portrait) PDF document would result in a Java error due to a misspelling in the iText jar file ("portrait" vs "portrait"). Adjusted VVITEXTD copy source to fix.
    • RPG Toolkit: vvUtility_ObjectExists: attempt to retrieve an object description on an object to which the user is not authorized would imply the object does not exist. Routine now returns "true" (*on) but also logs the authority problem in the Valence error log.
    • VVCNV40: Valence 3.2 App Builder apps (front-end and back-end) now migrate to Valence 4.0 Nitro Query.
    • VVCNV40: now ensures "default group for new apps" is set (was optional in 3.2 but mandatory in 4.0).
    • VVCNV40: password data would not be migrated properly to copied instances when user runs VVCNV40 with base instance library in lib list (rather than copied instance library), resulting in a data decimal error on login. Modified VVCNV40 to explicitly OVRDBF to the copied instance library.
    • Valence.util.App.launch not always working if the Apps are filtered -- fixed.
    • Instance Manager: fixed problem where deleting an instance was not deleting the instance configuration from the www folder.
    • Instance Manager: corrected bug in routine that creates SQL functions in copied instances.

Changes in Valence Framework 4.0.20140325.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Valence Installer: On rare occasions program objects are getting restored with *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE authority. Added logic to reset *PUBLIC permissions on Valence Framework objects after objects have been restored.
    • Valence Portal: fixed problem when any app was disallowed for a user, the user couldn't see any apps at all.
    • Valence Portal: fixed logic in login routine that would cause issues for Kerberos/LDAP login.
    • Portal Admin: devTokens: the "In Use" and "Enabled" columns were showing a broken icon link.
    • Portal Admin: devTokens: the column heading for the token expiration date was incorrectly showing "Expired"--changed to "Expires on"
    • Portal Admin: if environment library list changed, existing devToken session records were still showing old library list. Changed logic to delete any active sessions for that devToken so they recreate on the next use with the correct library list.
    • Test RPG Call: fixed problem with download of Sencha Architect xdc files in Firefox
    • IBM i Access for Web Integration: corrected issue on "Basic Login" configuration where CPF2451 screen would show after login instead of auto-advancing to next screen
    • Excel Generation: spreadsheet template points to the wrong path after running VVCNV40. Adjusted migration routine to omit this setting on the migration. Proper value is /resources/templates/vvSSTemplate.XLS

Changes in Valence Framework 4.0.20140320.0 Since the Previous Build

• Instance Manager: sometimes instance copy is not copying a key function object, resulting in blank launchpad on log in--updated logic to recreate the function object if it did not copy properly
    • Instance Manager: on some systems when the folder path and library are copied permissions are not being retained--changed logic to reset permissions after copy.
    • Migration from 3.2: Attempting to add a new app to a category fails on migrated (3.2 to 4.0) instances unless category has first been maintained, which renumbers the app sequence. Adjusted VVCNV40 to use 999 instead of 9999 for the default app sequence.

Changes in Valence Framework 4.0.20140319.0 Since the Previous Build
    • Portal Admin: fixed problem with devToken, was not enabled by default
    • Valence Installer: changed the verification step to show more helpful information if the framework can not be contacted
    • Nitro Query: fixed Valence setting NITROAPP_PATH to correct default path of /desktop/queryapps
    • Valence.util.App.launch: fixed problem where this method was not always launching the correct app

Changes in Valence Framework 4.0.20140317.1 Since the Previous Build
    • Valence Installer: fixed a problem in the final step of the Valence Installer where it would not wait long enough for slower IBM i systems to respond. Increased the wait time from 35 to 155 seconds.
    • Nitro Query: a critical css file was not getting deployed properly making Nitro Query unusable. This has been resolved.
    • Fixed a minor kerberos/ldap login issue
    • Valence.util.App.launch: corrected a problem where it was not appending parameters

Major New Features in Valence Framework 4.0.20140317.0:

• Integration with Sencha Architect 3 for visually developing Valence applications
    • Desktop Portal completely reengineered for a more optimal user experience. Navigation trees have been replaced with a new intuitive "LaunchPad" feature
    • Portal Administration App completely rewritten
    • Test RPG Call now provides Ext JS-ready models from RPG program responses. These models can be pasted directly into your JavaScript files or imported into Sencha Architect
    • Numerous Sencha Architect-based examples added, including Help Desk app
    • Updated from Ext JS 4.1.1 to Ext JS 4.2.2
    • Updated from Sencha Touch 2.0.1.1 to Sencha Touch 2.3.1
    • IBM i Access for Web integration has been added, allowing interactive green screen programs to be run as apps in the Valence Portal
    • Improvements to the back-end database and call routing routines, resulting in up to a 40% performance improvement on AJAX calls
    • Support for multiple login methods within the same session, including LDAP authentication
    • IBM i users may now log in to the Valence Portal without first being set up as Valence Users (if feature is activated in Settings)
    • Back-end database updated from DDS to DDL

This is just a partial list. For a full, detailed list of changes introduced since Valence 3.2, please see the Changes from Valence 3.2 Guide. For information on migrating from 3.2 to 4.0, please see the Migrating from 3.2 Guide.

System Requirements:
    • Any hardware running the IBM i operating system V5R4 or higher. For installation of Valence Framwork 4.0 to your IBM i, a PC running Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or a Mac running OS X is required.
    • The client computer utilizing Valence apps can be Mac OS X, Windows, Unix, Linux, iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry and virtually any hardware that has a compatible browser.
    • A compatible browser on client computers. CNX recommends Google Chrome for the best development and user experience on the desktop, and iSafari or other integrated browsers on mobile devices. This version of Valence should work in newer versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer as well as WebKit-based mobile device browsers like those on iPhone, iPad and Android.

What is the Valence Framework?

The Valence Framework is an advanced web application development and runtime system for the IBM i. It includes these major components, all designed to work seamlessly and elegantly together:
    • Ext JS - a JavaScript framework for an advanced rich user interface in the desktop browser.
    • Sencha Touch - a JavaScript framework for an advanced rich user interface on mobile devices.
    • Valence RPG Toolkit - everything you need to make it easy for RPG on the IBM i work with the Ext JS JavaScript framework.
    • Valence Portal - A browser-based login, session management and menu system for your IBM i. This essentially lets users log in and launch web applications designed with Valence or other systems. The Valence Portal has a "desktop" mode that is optimized for full-screen keyboard-based computers and a "touch" mode that is optimized for touch-based systems like iPhones, iPads and Android devices. The Valence Portal will automatically detect and adjust to the correct device type at login.
    • Valence Nitro - A set of features including the Source Editor, Query and File Editor to make it easy for developers to be successful at building advanced web applications for IBM i. Nitro also includes Nitro iAdmin for easily managing IBM i operations from mobile devices.
    • Valence Examples - For those developers that like to have a starting point to copy-and-modify and learn Valence development, there are numerous example apps included with the Valence Portal.

The Valence Design Methodology:

CNX believes very strongly in our architecture of the Valence Framework. It uses 100% JavaScript in the browser where JavaScript takes over and manages the user experience entirely. This gives the user a "rich" interface similar to what they would have with advanced apps from Google and Facebook. The Valence Framework marries this advanced interface with ILE RPG on the back-end through IBM i's built-in Apache server. There are no external servers or other non-native components between the browser and RPG. This design purity leads to reliability, speed and elegance. If you are an RPG developer, using the Valence Framework will seem like a natural step on the path to your future and the future of the IBM i platform.

Valence Framework Next Steps:

Once you have Valence Framework 4.0 successfully installed on your IBM i, try these next steps:
    • Log into the Valence Portal with user vvadmin, password vvadmin (some systems require capital VVADMIN) and browse the many example apps. Try modifying some of the examples to work with your own IBM i physical files.
    • Watch the many Valence Training Videos and check back frequently for more.
    • Download Sencha Architect and review the videos for instructions on how to create an app.
    • Read the Valence API Documentation and Valence Guides.
    • Consider attending Valence Training classes at the CNX Training Center in Chicago. With formal training by CNX there will be no limit to the kinds of apps you can create with Valence for your IBM i users and customers.

Uninstalling Valence Framework 4.0:

Follow these instructions if you previously installed this release and would like to completely remove it from your system:
    • Log onto a 5250 session as QSECOFR or another profile with security officer authority.
    • End the VALENCE40 Apache server instance with command "ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*HTTP) HTTPSVR(VALENCE40)".
    • Before continuing, be certain there are no users and/or developers with a lock on the VALENCE40 library with command "WRKOBJLCK OBJ(VALENCE40) OBJTYPE(*LIB)". If there are any jobs listed, cancel them or ask the users/developers to exit.
    • Delete the VALENCE40 library with command "DLTLIB LIB(VALENCE40)".
    • Delete the IFS folder named /valence-4.0 and all subfolders and files. The easiest way to do this is to start with command "WRKLNK /" then use option 2 against the root folder, then option 9 (recursive delete) against the /valence-4.0 folder.
    • Delete the VALENCE40 Apache server instance by navigating with your browser to http://[your_IBMi_ip_address]:2001/HTTPAdmin. Use the QSECOFR profile or another profile with security officer authority when prompted. Click on the “ALL Servers” tab, select the VALENCE40 server instance and then click the delete option.

If you need assistance with installing this release or have other questions please email support@cnxcorp.com or call CNX at (312) 477-7450.

Valence Framework 4.0.20140319.0 is released. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140320.0 is released. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140325.0 is released. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140331.0 is released. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140407.0 is released. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140421.0 is released. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140505.0 is released. This version now includes the redesigned Nitro AutoCode. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140507.0 is released. This version now includes the redesigned Nitro AutoCode with some enhancements and fixes over yesterday's release. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140515.0 is released. This version is now being classified as STABLE for production applications. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for full details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140519.0 is released. This version is STABLE for production applications. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for full details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140604.0 is released. All Valence Framework 4.0 customers should update to this release. This version is STABLE for production applications. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for full details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140616.0 is released. All Valence Framework 4.0 customers should update to this release. This version is STABLE for production applications. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for full details.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140619.0 is released. This version corrects a problem in Nitro AutoCode introduced in the previous release. Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for full details of this release.

Comment

Valence Framework 4.0.20140707.0 is released. Changes in this build since the previous release are:

• Nitro AutoCode: fixed​ issue where​ trailing CR/LF​ in SQL statement could cause a MSGW​ condition​.
                              • Nitro AutoCode: fixed bug​ that was​ not allowing column headings to be overridden.
                              • Valence Portal: Valence.app.launch({app:xxxx}) changed to account for max open setting (see http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1449).
                              • Nitro File Editor: "Form" button was incorrectly working as a "Copy" (write)​ function​; changed it ​so it now works to edit/update​ an existing record.
                              • Nitro File Editor: increased size of date fields in the Form window.
                              • Nitro iAdmin: corrected error when viewing outqs exceeding 9,999 files.​ Max is now 32,000.​
                              • Nitro Source Editor: corrected issue causing search within folder function to always show empty results.
                              • Instance Manager: instance name and library field ​display ​width increased.
                              • Instance Manager: fixed bug which allowed multiple copies ​ or updates​ to be run simultaneously; now forces to run only one at a time.
                              • Instance Manager: fixed bug in runCommand procedure that caused improper error responses in some cases.
                              • IBM i Access for Web: ensure *5250 apps always launch serially within the same session, not in parallel (causes issues with session variables).
                              • IBM i Access for Web: can now override the default macro used for program calls.
                              • ​IBM i Access for Web: can now specify a custom program to return substitution variables, using format [##PGM_NAME##]. See Valence 5250 guide for details.​
                              • RPG Toolkit: VVMAIL ​n​ow trims excess spaces from email address and alias.
                              • Valence Installer: corrected issue that was updating IBM i Access for Web User Path setting on V6R1/V7R1 installations with value intended only for V5R4.

Go to http://cnxforum.com/showthread.php?1383 for full release notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X