• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resources/videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources/videos

I'd like to put a plug in to refresh some of the videos under Resources. They are getting quite dated. It's all Valence 5 stuff. How many customers are still on V5? Do you really want to showcase V5 when we're on V6.1?
    On top of my list is "Valence Portal Overview".

Today we rolled the portal out to some users who had never seen it before. One of them asked if there was some training material. As for in-app help and training for our apps, that's part of job training and is of course our responsibility. I can certainly put together a training session or video for my end users on how to navigate the portal as well, but I remembered there being videos for that in Resources so I went there.

I decided not to share that with the user who asked for it for a number of reasons:

1. it's just way too outdated. Portal 5 is too different from Portal 6, esp, the bits about logging out using the portal navigation drawer (not there in V6) and portal mode (modern/classic)
    2. I would prefer the new Portal Overview video to be more tailored to the end-user, or have a version of it that's specific to end users. For instance, the current video shows a lot about Portal Admin, which is an app our end users do not have access to for obvious reasons.

In general the videos and guides, which are great don't get me wrong, are more tailored towards developers and administrators than towards the actual end-user. What we need is a Portal Overview video and guide for end-users. It should show nothing about Portal Admin, NAB, File Editor, Instance Manager or any of that stuff.

Ideally the portal shown there should resemble a portal your typical end-user would see, one with a bunch of business apps and categories like Customer Maintenance. Order Entry. Item Maintenance. Accounts Receivable etc. For the video and demo purposes, you don't even need to have any beef behind these apps. Just a bunch of icons that do nothing, just don't click on those ones during the video :). Click and demo the apps you have that do work... like Customer Maintenance. Get rid of Administration, Utilities, Examples, Documentation categories and apps, all of it, and mock up a "typical" business portal with Ordering, Inventory Shipping, Accounting, Purchasing & Receiving Production Scheduling, Reports etc. Limit it to basic portal operations. Brand it as ACME Corporation.

Topics to cover:
    - Save a bookmark to the portal in your browser (remember, we're dealing with not-very-computer-savvy users)
    - logging in and out of the portal
    - what are categories
    - searching for apps
    - creating favorites
    - tabs
    - autostart apps
    - some in-app demos so you can show
    - row menu :
    - hamburgers =
    - show some flashy apps with graphs
    - do a PDF download
    - do a spreadsheet download
    - re-arrange columns
    - sorting columns

I think it's both a training and a marketing opportunity to showcase what a Valence portal and apps look like from an end-user's point of view. with less focus on the developer. End users are after the people who will live in the portal day in day out to do their jobs. I also think it's a marketing opportunity to show management of potential customers, like ACME Corporation, what the user interface of their IBM i based system can look like if only they had Valence! I would also recommend putting this new video on YouTube.

Thanks for your consideration

Thanks for these suggestions. The timing is good because we are beginning to script out all new videos for Valence 6.1. I will add video like this to the list of new videos to be produced.

Comment

This video was released last week that comes close to what you were asking for regarding an end-user video for the Valence Desktop Portal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIcxx_lylc

Also if you use 2FA with Valence your users might find this one helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcqgozNw6gs

Comment

Working...
      X