• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options for Complex (slow) data source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case someone else runs into this...

My performance issue is sporadic, and related to how the IBM i SQE is building the plan cache.

I have witnessed consecutive days where the SQE for these data sources, in Run SQL Scripts (RSS), uses indexes I've created. When used, the response time is 1-3 seconds.
    Other times the SQE decides to build Temporary Hash Tables over very large files instead of using the corresponding indexes. When this occurs, the response time is 20+ seconds.

The IBM database group is looking at the issue.

Comment

Interesting. We'll be curious to hear what IBM reports.

Comment

Update:

So #1 IBM says I should not IPL the system each morning. It's clearing my SQL Plan Cache. I responded by telling them they shouldn't be issuing daily PTFs and I wouldn't have to :). I may rethink this.

#2 To get the SQE to use the index I created, I did CHGLF KEEPINMEM(*YES). This seems to have corrected my issue. I used this from the command line even though my index was created using SQL CREATE INDEX. But the KEEPINMEM can be done on the CREATE INDEX or with a separate SQL command.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.3?to...rence-controls

Hope this helps someone else.

Comment

Thank you for the update.

Comment

Working...
          X