• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new build - remote databases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build - remote databases

i'm not able to use remote databases.... i get this error:

remotedb.PNG

Are you certain the connection criteria in Portal Admin > Remote DBs is correct? What type of server is it that you're trying to connect to?

In Portal Admin > Settings, midway down inside the "Hidden Settings" section, there is a JDBC logging function you can turn on so it'll write out whatever messages are coming back from the connection attempt. Check the box for the "Log all JDBC activity related to remote database connections" setting. Then restart the server instance and try to connect to your remote DB again.

If it's still having problems connecting, pertinent log data will be found in the IFS at /valence-***/java/remotedb/log4j-vvjavaremote.log.

Comment

Nothing has changed in the criteria that I know of.... I'll double check the pwd....it's connecting to my other iSeries.....it was working Tuesday --- i installed the new build --- then I'm told it stopped working.....

I'll try logging and let you know...

Speaking of logging --- I still have SQL from datasource logging turned on... I assume I can uncheck that right?

Thx

Comment

Yes, you can turn that SQL logging off off unless you're debugging something.

Comment

set up logging on my QAC instance.... no data in the log... i checked logs in all instances to be safe....

this shows up in Errors though..... mean anything?

remotedb.PNG

Comment

Communication from the batch job running the JDBC process and the Valence CGI job awaiting data from the remote DB is done through a data queue. This message is suggesting is that the batch job attempting to process the data queue call is either not running or having an issue. Which is unusual.

You did restart the instance, correct? You should restart it again just to get a fresh set of data queues and processing jobs.

Comment

i restarted a couple times.... same message in ERRORS, nothing in log...

i'll give it a go in the morning with fresh eyes.... thx

Comment

no luck with fresh eyes either.... same time out error.... same message in the ERRORS app and no entries in the logs....anything else I can look at?

Comment

It's level checking

Additional Message Information

Message ID . . . . . . : RNQ0202 Severity . . . . . . . : 99
                  Message type . . . . . : Inquiry
                  Date sent . . . . . . : 11/19/21 Time sent . . . . . . : 08:27:44

Message . . . . : The call to BATCHPROCE ended in error (C G D F).
                  Cause . . . . . : RPG procedure VVBATCH in program SPACEDEV/VVBATCH at
                  statement 025100 called program or procedure BATCHPROCE, which ended in
                  error. If the name is *N, the call was a bound call by procedure pointer.
                  Recovery . . . : Check the job log for more information on the cause of the
                  error and contact the person responsible for program maintenance.
                  Possible choices for replying to message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
                  D -- Obtain RPG formatted dump.
                  S -- Obtain system dump.
                  G -- Continue processing at *GETIN.
                  C -- Cancel.

SEV DATE TIME FROM PGM LIBRARY INST TO PGM LIBRARY INST
                  To procedure . . . . . . . : SETRMTJSTRINGS
                  Statement . . . . . . . . . : 51600
                  Message . . . . : Error message CPF4131 appeared during OPEN.
                  Cause . . . . . : RPG procedure SETRMTJSTR in program SPACEDEV/VVBATCH
                  received the message CPF4131 while performing an explicit OPEN operation on
                  file VVRMTDB. The actual file is VVRMTDB.
                  Recovery . . . : Check the job
                  log for a complete description of message CPF4131, and contact the person
                  responsible for program maintenance.

Comment

NAB
                    Create new data source
                    select a defined RDB
                    click Remote Database checkbox
                    <crash>

Job 637826/QTMHHTTP/VBCH637417 was ended by user DDOORN.

I bet it's related to the issue reported by DanM
                    Which is funny because my name is Dan and my middle initial is M...

let me know if you need the DUMP
                    Not much there aside from 4131 on VVRMTDB...

Display Format: VVRMTDB in SPACEDEV SIERRA2
                    Text: Valence Remote DBs 11/19/21 8:40:21
                    Type options, press Enter. Format: RMTDB Nbr of fields: 8
                    5=Display Rcd len: 533 Level ID: 4695471B705B8

Opt Field Type Len Dec FrmPos ToPos Text
                    VVDBID B 9 0 1 4 Database ID
                    VVNAME W 66 5 70 Connection Name
                    VVDRVID B 9 0 71 74 Database Driver ID
                    VVIPADDR W 66 75 140 Server IP Address or Name
                    VVPORT P 5 0 141 143 Server Port
                    VVUSER W 130 144 273 Connect with User ID
                    VVPWD W 130 274 403 Password (Encrypted)
                    VVCPARMS W 130 404 533 Connection Paramaters

DSPPGMREF VVBATCH:

File . . . . . : QPDSPPGM
                    Control . . . . . -1
                    Find . . . . . . VVRMTDB
                    *...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5 ....+....6....+..
                    Object . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VVCONTEXT
                    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : QTEMP
                    Object type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *DTAARA
                    Object . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VVRMTDB
                    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VALENCE6
                    Object type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *FILE
                    File name in program . . . . . . . . . . : VVRMTDB
                    File usage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Input
                    Number of record formats . . . . . . . . : 1
                    Record Format Format Level Identifier Field Count
                    RMTDB 4695471B605B8 8

I think we need a new VVBATCH *PGM object...?

Comment

This is likely related to the new column VVCPARMS that was added to the end of the file to accommodate additional connection parameters. You could probably work around the issue by changing VVRMTDB to LVLCHK(*NO) for now. We'll continue looking into it in the meantime.

Comment

Other programs are level checking, too

Message . . . . : Error message CPF4131 appeared during OPEN.
                        Cause . . . . . : RPG procedure DELETERMTD in program SPACEDEV/VVADM_RDBS
                        received the message CPF4131 while performing an explicit OPEN operation on
                        file VVRMTDB. The actual file is VVRMTDB. Recovery . . . : Check the job
                        log for a complete description of message CPF4131, and contact the person
                        responsible for program maintenance.

Comparing PROD (6.0.20211007.0) to DEV (6.0.20211111.0) I can see that VVRMTDB got a new field, VVCPARMS. I was just about to swap out VVRMTDB in DEV with the one from PROD but I like this CHGPF FILE(VVRMTDB) LVLCHK(*NO) idea better because I don't know if some or all of the of the program using VVRMTDB were missed in the recompile.

It seems to work to fix the crash in NAB and other areas.

DanM you may want to try that too,
                        CHGPF FILE(VVRMTDB) LVLCHK(*NO)... see if it fixes your connection problems

Comment

Confirmed: the issue is that the updated database is allowing nulls in the VVRMTDB.VVCPARMS column, whereas on our development box VVCPARMS is set to not allow nulls. This explains the slight difference in the level ID and the level check error.

We'll get this corrected on the next build. The LVLCHK(*NO) solution will stop any MSGW issues in the meantime without affecting any functionality.

Comment

DrGadget yep.... we did it earlier and all seems fine.. thanx for reaching out....

Comment

Working...
                            X