• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filter grid with row menu button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter grid with row menu button

Hi,

I have a grid that I want to filter using a row menu button (based on a value in that row).
    The column I want to filter on has too many different values to define a normal grid filter for it.
    I tried the following:
    1. Filter the grid itself through behaviours, NAB doesn't allow me to select the current grid for filtering. I don't want t make a copy of this grid, because in that case I have to maintain both.
    2. Define a grid filter, make it hidden through app vars and set the filter to a value with a ow menu button RPG call with SetValue. This doesn't work.
    Do you have a solution for this use case?

Kind regards,
    Theo

Just so I am clear, you want to filter down the results of a grid by clicking a row menu button against a row attached to the same grid. This is an unusual user experience.

It is hard to come up with a definitive suggestion without understanding the data. Depending on your data/SQL, the following could work:
    • Use vvIn_virtual(s) within your data source as a means to filter down your data.
    • Define your app variables within your application
      • These app variables will be used to serve as the replacement values for your vvIn_virtual statement(s)
    • Create an app variable to your list "reloadList". Link this app variable to the reload property on your grid
    • Upon clicking your row menu button
      • Populate your app variables as needed to replace the vvIn_virtual statement(s) in your data source
      • Set your "reloadList" app variable to "true"

Comment

I tried your suggestion but I got stuck at the first step. I added
      PHP Code:
      and rmsnr vvin_virtual('serialNumber'null'char'15null'true'
      to the WHERE clause. This results in the error (reported that earlier):
      PHP Code:
      SQL0206 Column or globale variabele CHAR not found
      What I don't understand is how NOT to filter initially using the vvIn_virtual in my datasource.

Let me explain the use case:
      The user is presented with a list of repairs sorted by repair id (date)
      Sometimes this specific product (serial number) was repaired before
      In that case I want to allow to filter down the list only for that specific serial number so the repair history can be found immediately.

I would like to populate the search field or a grid filter from a row button.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
      Theo

Comment

OK, I just tested something similar on our system and the following should work.

Change your SQL to something similar:
        Code:
        select x,y,z from myFile
          where myField = 123 and vvIn_virtual('serialNumber','1=1','char',40,null,'false')
        In your application, create the serialNumber app variable and the reloadList app variable. Link the reloadList app variable to the reload property on your grid.

When user clicks the menu/icon -> Set App Variables:
        • reloadList
          • Set to "true"
        • serialNumber
          • Set to "rmsnr = '{RMSNR}'

Comment

I know Sean gave you a fix however wanted to comment on your post:

I would like to populate the search field or a grid filter from a row button.
          The next Valence 6.0 update will have the ability to set the values of widget filters and the grid global search field based on app variables;

Comment

Thanks Johnny,
            That will solve several issues for me.

Theo

Comment

Working...
            X