• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying legend text with data source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying legend text with data source

Hello,

Is it possible to modify the legend text in, say, a column chart widget, with data from a data source, like a sum of one of the axes? Or must the legend text be static?

Thanks.
    Erin

Yes, it is under the "Legend" section.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.43.46 AM.png

Comment

Isn't "2020 Sales" etc. static (constant, unchanging) text? I want a number from the data source to be part of it. Thanks.

Comment

If your chart is a multi-series chart you can set the legend text based on an app variable;

NAB Multi Series Legend Text.png

Comment

All right, I see those in my chart. I've created two app variables and assigned them initial values:
          App variables.png
          Next I linked to my app variables:
          App variables link to.png
          The initial values aren't even showing in the legend:
          App Legend.png

Comment

Once you get on the latest version if you're not already and it's still not showing your values please let us know because we can't replicate this on our end

Thanks

Comment

Found the problem. Was using the function SetValue() instead of SetAppVar(). Doh!

Your info about the Multi Series properties was very much appreciated. I needed that piece of the puzzle. Thanks!

Comment

Now wondering if it's possible to set the app variables on startup of the app?

Comment

You should be able to set app variables value via the startup application.

Comment

Yes, but I don't want to put constant values in the app variables. I'm currently setting them via a refresh button on a widget that calls an RPG program that sets the app variables. But I would like them to load on startup too.

Comment

So you’re setting the app variables via your startup program and they are not applying?

Comment

No, because I don't want static values; I want data from a data source. The RPG program sets the app variables (two sums from a file). But you can't run an RPG program from startup. So, this gives me questions:

Can a startup script be written that will get data from a data source or file? If so, how?
                        Or, can a startup script be written that will get data from a widget attached to a data source? If so, how? And, will the data already be loaded in the widget at the startup event? How do I find out what properties, methods, and functions are in a widget?
                        Or, can I trigger the refresh button which runs the RPG at startup?

Thanks.

Comment

You can run an RPG program from startup using "EXNABSTART" as your template;

NAB StartUp One.png

NAB StartUp Two.png

Comment

That's it! That was the answer. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X