• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vvUtility_Log - some questions on usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vvUtility_Log - some questions on usage

I'd like to use vvutility log, in some (non)-valence programs that are used for transferring and exchanging data between 2 different systems..

I would like to log the events,

1) unless i've overlooked, but i couldn't find any App that is exploiting the vvGenlog Db, is this correct?

2) is there some 'cleanup' procedure foreseen for this vvgenlog?

3) could it be wise to use vvutility_logError instead of the vvutility_log ??

i could of course also create my own log files, but it would be nice to centralize all loggings in 1 central place..

Hi Thierry,

1) Currently there isn't an app to look at the contents of VVGENLOG - we typically use Nitro File Editor to peruse it. But that's a good idea to have a dedicated app for that file - we'll add that to our list for future features. In the meantime you could probably create a quick NAB data source and grid widget over it.

2) There is already an automatic cleanup procedure for VVGENLOG, controlled in Portal Admin > Settings > Log Settings > "Days to retain VVGENLOG information" (default is 14 days).

3) vvUtility_logError could be used as well, but the parameters you must pass it are a bit more involved -- see the API doc for details on vvUtility_log versus vvUtility_logError. Note that VVERRLOG has its own retention threshold value in Log Settings.

I should mention that both procedures are intended to work inside a CGI job routed through the Valence Portal. I wouldn't recommend trying to call these from standard non-CGI batch or interactive jobs, as they would likely throw some strange errors on the Apache API calls they use to pull in the Valence session ID, etc.

Comment

hI Robert,

thx for this info..

since this is to be used in a non-cgi environment,
      i guess i will write an own procedure..

anyhow

thx for this info

Comment

Working...
      X