• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAB textarea field -> cr/lf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAB textarea field -> cr/lf

i have a NAB form with a text-area field, where multiple lines (by using the enter key.. ) can be entered..

In the RPG call that is used for saving the data into the file, i'm using the vvin_json- procedure

in the debug from the browser, i see the Json-string being sent, has "\n" as the CR/LF character..

However in RPG.. as a result of the the vvin_json, the lines are showing just the "n"
    f.e i send 'line1\nline2' but after the vvin_json, in rpg, i'm receiving line1nline2 (the "" is missing)

i noticed that in file on the iseries itself, should normally contain the X'25' as the CR/LF character.

Can someone help in describing the best practice in handling CR/LF from within NAB?

thx in advance

i'm using
    PHP Code:
    vvIn.fieldName 'COMMENT';
    vvIn.totalSize = %size(dsComment:*all);
    vvIn.elementSize = %size(dsComment);
    numElements vvIn_JSON(vvIn:%addr(dsComment));
    For 
    ii1 to numElements;

gParm_Comment dsComment(ii);
    Endfor; 
    [

Hi Thierry -

How is the data for your textarea field being passed down from the browser? I assume that it is passing it down as one long string and not as a JSON object, correct? If so, vvIn_json would not be the appropriate method to retrieve the data. It would be vvIn_char.

Comment

Hi Sean,

that's the problem.. we're using the standard NAB ...
      which sends all data back to iseries in array ...[Rowxxx]

what is the best way to retrieve this data in a RPG so that it doesn't lose the CR/LF (or \n) info...

thx

Thierry

Comment

Hi Thierry -

I assume that you are using the EXNABBTN template, correct? If so, the GetFormChar procedure.

Code:
        d lComment        s         500a
         /free
          lComment = GetFormChar('COMMENT');
          // this will return the contents with the line feed hex code (x'25')
          //
          //  if you want to convert this to something else before saving to the database you can
          //   use %scanrpl and use the Valence provided "LF" (line feed constant)
          //
          lComment = %scanrpl(LF:'\n':lComment);
         /end-free

Comment

indeed Sean... we were tried to achieve it with the standard VV_in procedures which was not giving the correct result...

thx a lot for pointing is to the correct solution.., it is now working as we want it to...

Thierry

Comment

Working...
          X