• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Answered] User ID on CGI job when making CALL to another RPG subpgm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Answered] User ID on CGI job when making CALL to another RPG subpgm

I've got to believe this has asked before but I could not find anything with Search. Why does a CGI job running under the i5 User ID change to QTMHHTTP when the program makes an old school CALL to another RPG subpgm? Is it activation group related (the called pgm is running in default activation group, not *CALLER) or do these type of calls get handed to another thread which loses the substitution of the User Id that you guys do when using portal and vvCall? Is there anything I can do about it to make it stay within the swapped i5 User Id?

I'm calling subpgms used by my old green screen system also as I transition over to Valence front end programs. This subpgm is a common routine that makes all inventory updates when passed a linkage section, called by many programs throughout my system. I want that to record user who made the transaction, not QTMHHTTP. I'm trying to avoid cloning this program or modifying linkage section to pass in the User Id from Valence front end. Am I S.O.L. here?

You're not S.O.L., but you may need to tweak your RPG logic a bit. There are two users on the Valence CGI jobs - the job user, which is always QTMHHTTP, and then the current user, which is overridden to whatever profile was used to log in to the Valence Portal. Most older RPG programs are built on the presumption that the current user and job user are the same, which is generally true for 5250 programs, but it's a different story for the CGI jobs.

Fortunately resolution is just a matter of pulling in the user ID differently. The change shouldn't break the functionality of interactive calls while getting you the desired user on CGI calls from Valence. This old forum post explains the what and how for your RPG program adjustment.

Comment

Thank you Rob, exactly what I needed. All those years of green screen I had no idea that Job User and Current User were different things because not really relevant in that world. Nice to learn something new about i5 after using since 1988. ;)

Comment

Working...
      X