• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Answered] Google Analytics in website using Valence 5.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Answered] Google Analytics in website using Valence 5.x

PHP Code:
     (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
      (
    i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),

m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
      })(
    window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); 

ga('create''UA-54516992-1''auto');

ga('send''pageview'); 

PHP Implementation
    Use the code above to create a file named "analyticstracking.php", and include the file on each PHP template page.
    Add the following line to each template page immediately after the opening <body> tag:
    HTML Code:
    <?php include_once("analyticstracking.php") ?>
    Last edited by robert.swanson; 03-22-2017, 03:18 PM.

You can use the Hook.js file for this (located in your Valence directory under resources/desktop). I would suggest creating an external js file with your code for incorporating Google Analytics. For example sake, I will refer to it as "ga.js" and place it directly in the "resources" folder under Valence.

Look for the "launchapp" event in the Hook.js and place the following code:

Code:
    setTimeout(function(){
        var ga = document.createElement('script');
        ga.setAttribute('src','/resources/ga.js');
        app.getDoc().head.appendChild(ga);
    },500);
    Wrapping this in a timeout because the event fires a bit too early thus causing the append to be unsuccessful from time to time (we will fix this in an upcoming release).

Comment

Hi Sean,

Thanks. I added the code as you instructed above. This is how I did it

launchapp : function (app) {
      setTimeout(function(){
      var ga = document.createElement('script');
      ga.setAttribute('src','/resources/googleanalyticstracking.js');
      app.getDoc().head.appendChild(ga);
      },500);
      },

Does this look right? It does not seem to work or load my googleanalyticstracking.js when I look at Chrome Dev Tools.
      Nothing is registering in Google Analytics.

The website is https://connectdev.valvoline.com.au
      I was expecting to see my js load in dev tools when I bring up the website in Chrome but I don't see it even after the 500ms delay.
      I guess you could try it too(?)

Please help.

Thanks,
      Maria

Comment

Hi Maria - the code I posted should add the Google Analytics for each application that is launched within the portal. If you want to add the analytics to the Portal itself, then I would try adding the same code (that was added to the launchapp event) to the "constructor" of the Hook. So maybe immediately after the variable definitions within the constructor of the Hook.

Comment

Thanks Sean. Yes, I can see data going to analytics as I launch an app.
          I will try adding it to the constructor as you've advised and see what happens.

Question: I assume this works only on the desktop portal, right? How can I add the google analytics to the native portal so we can track the activity from there too?

Thanks again.

Comment

For the native portal you will need to add the google analytics to your app's index.html
            Last edited by robert.swanson; 03-29-2017, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X