• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Valence As A Requester of Web Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Valence As A Requester of Web Services

I see in 5.0 you have a web service feature. It looks like this feature is wrapped around being a provider of web services. Is there a way to use Valence API's to be a requester of web services? I'm interested in a tool that handles http connectivity management and json parsing. I am aware that Valence handles the parson of json, but I'm curious as to how I can tap into that when calling a web service.

As of Valence 5.0 we do have a utility that allows you to contact outside apis. We also have a few RPG examples using that utility. You will find those source files in QRPGLESRC starting with "EXHTTP".

Thanks

Comment

Johnny,

Thanks for your response. Am I correct in that I'd have to write my own code to parse the response? Also, I couldn't seem to get other web services to work, which I assume means the http header also needs to be modified to accommodate other services, correct?

Are any other Valence users using Valence to request data from web services? If so, can you post some sample code?

Comment

Below is a quick example calling an endpoint via GET method. This was taken directly from "EXHTTPGET1" example program. Instead of pulling the url from the front-end and responding I just hardcoded a url that responds with some data.

Code:
              /include qcpylesrc,vvHspec                                        
              /define includeJSON                                               

d url             s           2048a   varying                      

d inClob_len      s             10u 0                              
             d inClob_Data     s               a   Len(16773104)                
             d inMSGID         s             10a                                
             d inMSGTEXT       s             25a                                

d vPointer        s               *   inz                          

d Obj_Data        s               a   len(1048586)                 
             d Buffer          s               a   len(16000000) based(vPointer)
             d i               S             10i 0                              
             d vUserId         S             10                                 
             d vId             S             10                                 
             d vTitle          S             50                                 
             d vBody           S            200                                 

D ljson           S               *   inz             

/include qcpylesrc,vvDspec                           

/Free                                                
               exec sql set option commit=*none;                   

//url                                               
               url = 'http://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/posts/1';
               vvUtility_http(url : vvGET :  vPointer : inClob_len 
                                : inMSGID : inMSGTEXT);            

// Check for a Successfule response and process     
               If inMsgId = '200';                                 
                 //pull in the data                                
                 obj_Data    = %subst(Buffer:1:inClob_len);        

// Parse the json                                 
                 Monitor;                                          
                   ljson        = vvjson_parse(%Addr(obj_Data));                     
                   vUserId      = %str(vvjson_get(ljson: 'userId'));                 
                   vId          = %str(vvjson_get(ljson: 'id'));                     
                   vTitle       = %str(vvjson_get(ljson: 'title'));                  
                   vBody        = %str(vvjson_get(ljson: 'body'));                   
                   //now that we have the data userId, id, title & body do something 
                 on-Error;                                                           
                   //Error parsing data                                              
                 Endmon;                                                             

//  All added arrays and objects are also disposed.                 
                 vvjson_dispose(ljson);                                              
               Else;                                                                 
                   //Error 'inmsgId'                                                 
               Endif;                                                                

*inlr = *on;                                                          

/end-free

Comment

Working...
        X