• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Database widget not displaying everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Database widget not displaying everything

Hello. I found something that doesn't seem quite right.
    I have an app that uses a remote database data source for 1 of the form widgets. The data is a view in a Microsoft SQL database. I have 3 fields in this view that are CAST as Char fields because I use a form helper RPG program to fill in these fields with messages and different information I want to display to my user.
    The problem I'm running into is that my widget is not displaying all the data that is passed. I can put my form helper into debug to make sure the data is correct, but it keeps getting cut off in the widget. I even put this data into an app Var and use console.log to check it in the front end and I see it all there. Well, I see 1024 characters which I'm guessing might be the limit for App Vars. Anyways, I'm only getting 256 characters to show in the widget.
    This is what is displaying on my app.
    https://screenrec.com/share/gsUnvFIerV
    This is what is in an appVar that I'm using to double check.
    https://screenrec.com/share/CbfEsregDB
    This is the RGP that I use to set both those values
    https://screenrec.com/share/3YToXVDOHv
    I'm using the testUser app var with console.log to check it in the browser. The field in the widget is called F1_MSG3.
    Let me know what you think or what I can do to display a large chunk of data in my form widget.
    Thanks.

Form fields don't have a limit of characters they can display so could you supply us with the underlying SQL for the form's data source?

While editing the data source, go to the preview section and hit the SQL button it should display the underlying SQL for that data source

Thanks

Comment

This is the SQL for my remote database.

SELECT F1.tocid AS F1_tocid, F1.Division AS F1_Division, F1.MSG1 AS F1_MSG1, F1.MSG2 AS F1_MSG2, F1.MSG3 AS F1_MSG3, F1.TRATSCode AS F1_TRATSCode FROM Operations_Repo.dbo.TRATSDocLookup AS F1 ORDER BY F1.tocid DESC

I don't think the problem is there. I think it has to do with setValue() procedure. I just found where it says this is only a 256a for the output. When testing, that's exactly the character count I was getting. I'm already working on a new solution to display these names in a grid widget instead of a form field. I do feel there might be other situations where I might want to pass more than 256a from the backend to the front end. Something like a bunch of text to instruct what users should do next, or even some cool HTML to display something, I'm not sure. What do you think?

Comment

Thanks for all the information and we will look into the limitation of setValue

Comment

Working...
        X