• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic Question on Inquiry application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Question on Inquiry application

I want to create an application to view information about a particular set of orders. Currently have an RPG pgm builds a "workfile" at various times per day, then the users open an Excel document that is linked via ODBC.

I want to replace that process and give "real time" info to our users.

The Order information (columns) are a result of aggregate info from several tables. My thought was to build an SQL View of the aggregate informaton, and then create the Valence app over that view.

The problem I'm having is that several of the columns require (relatively) complex SQL functions.

So my question is whether I should create a "base" SQL view without the complex columns, then use the RPG portion of the Valence app to gather data. OR, keep plugging away with the SQL view until I get all of the columns I need.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would suggest downloading the latest version of Valence 5.0 if you haven't already and give Nitro Query a try for this. If you find that it has limitations for what your trying to accomplish you can just continue down your current path.

With Nitro Query you can create a data source that joins multiple files that populate a grid. That grid could give the user the ability to download.

If you decide not to use query I would suggest staying with SQL.

Thanks

Comment

I think the version of 5.0 I have is fairly recent (in the last few weeks)... but the documentation for the new Nitro Query is not updated yet. In fact, I couldn't get Nitro Query working. It was fine in 4.2.

This is NOT something as simple as joining multiple files. The base file has to be grouped by order number (that's easy). There are 4 more columns of data I need from another transaction file... there can be one or more matches for two of those columns - I need the most recent.

I do not really want a download... more of a dashboard grid. This is so users can see and react to potential problems.

Comment

I think that Johnny is right.

Create a SQL view that contains the data you want to show the users in your grid. Then use the new Nitro Query to create a query app to give the users a dashboard to see the data. I did just validate that the new Nitro Query can use a SQL view and that it does not have to be a physical table.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend viewing the Nitro Query demo that Richard presented a couple weeks ago. It walks you through step by step on how to create the dashboard in the new Nitro Query.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rec...27667775305729

Comment

Working...
        X