• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Version 4.2 to Version 5 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 4.2 to Version 5 upgrade

We just installed the new version 5.
    I found out that Extjs is no longer using MVC but now using MVVM. Notably model and proxy are now in different places.
    When we migrate from 4.2 to 5.0, do we need to migrate the "paradigm" as well?
    Is there any tool that Sencha helps to convert from MVC to MVVM?

The MVC paradigm still works the updated versions of Ext. Upgrade instructions are available at http://service.cnxcorp.com/valence-5...e021_Migrating.

Ideally, your applications should not depend on the version of Ext that is packaged with Valence. That way upgrading is very simple because the Portal does not care what is running inside of it.

In order to accomplish this, we recommend that all of your applications live outside of the Valence folder and also point to "your" version of Ext. In other words, do not reference the Ext that lives inside of the Valence library....just copy it out and into a folder of your own. Come time for a new version upgrade, all you need to do is add an apache alias to point to your Ext version.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I want to mention Also using Architect or sencha cmd to build you applications really makes migrations a breeze. Literally all i had to do was just copy my application build folders for each of my apps over to the new valence ifs directory and it worked.
        No tweeking at all since the extjs framework is included in each build.

Comment

Originally posted by beckhamrryyaann View Post
          I want to mention Also using Architect or sencha cmd to build you applications really makes migrations a breeze. Literally all i had to do was just copy my application build folders for each of my apps over to the new valence ifs directory and it worked.
          No tweeking at all since the extjs framework is included in each build.
          Ryan,

You are a 100% correct!! It's best not rely on the version of ExtJs the Valence portal uses.

Comment

Well... I'm not having much luck with the migration...
            I have installed v5.0 and ran the migration utility. The users/settings/etc. all migrated to the portal, and I've copied what few apps I have to a VVAPPS50 directory as indicated in http://service.cnxcorp.com/valence-5...e021_Migrating

I do not understand or follow the "Front End Migration" in the guide above (my background is RPG, not Apache).

Right now I have 3 instances of Valence running on our box (4.2, 4.2 production, and 5.0).

I think my issue relates to the differing methods of how to best run Valence... It would be easy just to copy my autocodeapps to the new folder on the IFS, but that is NOT what is "recommended".

To complicate things, the UI seems to have changed significantly... I was just finding my way around v4.2.

What is the best & easiest way to
            1. Move my apps and to version 5.0 and test
            2. Move my users to the new version without having to provide another URL due ot the port number change

Comment

Here are the steps I've taken in the past to upgrade Valence but keep the same port. It is more involved, but necessary if you don't want to change the port. Please note that if you were to put some sort of load balancer in front of the IBM i, then you could install Valence onto a new port and just change the load balancer to point to the new port. This would be easier, but not everyone has a load balancer to be able to do this. At any rate, here are the things to do if you want to upgrade but keep the same port/library names/etc.
              1. Copy any hook.js, hook.css and images needed and put in a safe place
              2. Note the http and https ports for the instance
              3. Delete the following
                /valence/valence-xxx-4.x from the IFS
                /www/valencexxx from the IFS. (Only if keeping the same name as prior version. Such as VALENCEPRD)
                VALENCEXXX Library. (Only if keeping the same name as prior version. Such as VALENCEPRD)
                QUSRSYS/QATMHINSTC(VALENCEXXX) file member
                Delete VVINST record out of valence 4.2 library
              4. Copy the base instance of 5.0 via Instance Manager
              5. Use path of /valence/valence-5.0/valencexxx (This is where I keep them, you may choose a different location)
              6. Update the /www/valencexxx/conf/httpd.conf (This is needed because I use HTTPS for access)
                Add necessary info to ensure HTTPS works correctly
              7. Update the new instances environments to correct library lists.
              8. Update any apps to have the correct path to the application on the IFS if needed

Hope this helps.
              Tim

Originally posted by gwilburn View Post
              Well... I'm not having much luck with the migration...
              I have installed v5.0 and ran the migration utility. The users/settings/etc. all migrated to the portal, and I've copied what few apps I have to a VVAPPS50 directory as indicated in http://service.cnxcorp.com/valence-5...e021_Migrating

I do not understand or follow the "Front End Migration" in the guide above (my background is RPG, not Apache).

Right now I have 3 instances of Valence running on our box (4.2, 4.2 production, and 5.0).

I think my issue relates to the differing methods of how to best run Valence... It would be easy just to copy my autocodeapps to the new folder on the IFS, but that is NOT what is "recommended".

To complicate things, the UI seems to have changed significantly... I was just finding my way around v4.2.

What is the best & easiest way to
              1. Move my apps and to version 5.0 and test
              2. Move my users to the new version without having to provide another URL due ot the port number change

Comment

Working...
              X