• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Development workflow In Valence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development workflow In Valence

Let's say I created 7 Valence instances:
    1 for each of five developers (dev1,dev2,dev3,dev4,dev5) to work independently of each other
    1 for User Acceptance/QA testing
    1 for Production

How would a developer promote an app from their respective instance to the QA instance, and subsequently to the production instance?

Is the process different for apps developed with Nitro Query versus Nitro AutoCode+Sencha Architect?

How do I synchronize dev instances as new apps are delivered to production?

Hi,
    Attached is a step by step document which i created for my work place. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Pavan
    Attached Files

Comment

This is the doc for moving Sencha apps to Valence portal which i created.

P.S: CNX team can take it down if its against your policies.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pavan; 01-08-2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Pavan, this is very useful and detailed information.

Jack, just to summarize:
        • For Nitro Query apps you simply export the Query from the Dev or Q/A instance, then import into the Q/A or Production instance. The import process automatically reconciles whether it needs to replace an existing data source/widget/query or create a new one. It will also set up a new app record in Portal Admin > Apps if one doesn't already exist. You may need to alter the app's group membership so users can see it (this would be only required the first time it's imported to the instance).
        • For AutoCode or custom-built apps, you will need to copy the app's IFS folder from Dev or Q/A over to the appropriate location in Q/A or Production. You will likewise need to copy any server-side RPG program(s) to the appropriate library. The first time you do this copy you would also need to create the app record in Portal Admin > Apps if it doesn't already exist in the destination instance.

Comment

I would like to add to this discussion that we suggest using version control for your front-end applications and recommend Git. When applications are promoted for user Testing/Production the application is simply copied to the IFS.

Comment

Pavan: thanks for the documents. I've downloaded them and will review.

Robert: is the Valence assigned app ID unique across all Valence instances, or only within an instance?

Johnny: Using git is a direction we'd like to move in for all development.

Comment

The app ID is unique within each instance. So app ID 1001 in your dev1 instance may ultimately wind up being, say, app ID 1051 in production.

Comment

Working...
              X