• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ext JS and Sencha Developer Tools with Community Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ext JS and Sencha Developer Tools with Community Edition

I'd like to build a sample app (a dashboard) with Valence 5 Community Edition. If successful, then I'll consider introducing that app to client to see if they would have some interest in pursuing Valence for their needs.

Before I start, I'd like to have a better understanding of current licensing and usage policies with Valence considering that Sencha has now moved on to Ext JS 6.

One particular question that I have is this. The Compare Edition Features Page states (the Community column): Sencha Ext JS - trial, Sencha Developer Tools - trial. What's the scope of that trial and will I be able to use Ext JS and Sencha Cmd with Community Edition and for how long?
    Last edited by alexkra; 02-12-2017, 08:28 PM.

After visiting sencha.com, apparently Sencha Cmd is available for download for free. Please disregard the Sencha Cmd part of my question.

Comment

By far the quickest and easiest way to build a dashboard app in Valence is through Nitro Query. You have 90 days of functionality from the time you install Valence 5 to develop and deploy Nitro Query apps, or to use the other Nitro tools such as AutoCode, File Editor, etc. After 90 days the Nitro tools switch off, including any generated apps, though a one-time extension can be made if necessary.

If you're coding a Valence application from scratch using Ext JS, then you can use that for a small number of users in a test / proof-of-concept capacity indefinitely. But an Enterprise license is required to use them in a true, unlimited production capacity. This also includes keys for premium features such as Sencha Cmd, Sencha Architect, etc. that would otherwise cease to function 30 days after download.

Comment

Thanks Rob. Actually, my preference is to use "vanilla" Ext JS in a Valence environment and avoid using premium features such as Nitro. The rationale is that as an individual developer, I may not be able to contain my effort in a 90-day window. Purchasing the Enterprise Edition is currently not on my radar.

I am very excited and look forward to my journey!

Comment

Sorry, actually have one more question.

Tried sencha generate workspace (the result looks incomplete), sencha generate app (returned errors).

Unless I misunderstood, it appears that Sencha Cmd expects Ext JS SDK to live on the same machine it resides.

Now I am thinking, transfer SenchaCmd executable to IBM i and run it there (PASE?), so Sencha Cmd would be working in coherence with the SDK.

Will this make technical sense and is this the scenario that you had in mind when you said that Sencha Cmd would cease to function after 30 days, even though I downloaded it from Sencha "for free"?

Comment

In order to create a workspace, Sencha Command does not necessarily require that Ext JS live on your local machine as you can map a drive to an external drive that points to the SDK. I have never explored installing Command on the IBM i as we strongly encourage doing all of your development on your local machine (normally tied back to an external git repository) and then deploying to the IFS when ready. And yes, as you suggested, Sencha Command will not stop working after 30 days.

Comment

Sean, could you please be more specific about the development model you are suggesting and, specifically, the use of git in it. Am I understanding it right that in order for the local machine to be tied back to an external git repository, it should be a git client itself? Secondarily, would the external git repository be a centralized repository (GitHub or Bitbucket), or would it be a git repository on the IBM i?

Comment

Working...
              X