• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] IE 7 Error - 'sessionStorage' is undefined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED] IE 7 Error - 'sessionStorage' is undefined

I'm getting the following script error when I try to access Valence 3.0 in IE 7:

Line: 523
    Char: 3
    Error: 'sessionStorage' is undefined
    Code: 0
    URL: http://xxx.xx.xx.xxxx:7030/valence/v...isplay=desktop

I'm testing this on a Citrix terminal server that runs IE 7. No problems running Valence 2.2 in this environment.

Valence 3.0 runs on my desktop install of IE 9 with no problems. I don't have an IE 8 client to test with.

Is IE 7 not supported with Valence 3.0?

IE7 is not supported because it does not support sessionStorage. Valence uses this HTML5 feature to store your secure session information and IE did not start supporting this until IE8. Generally speaking, CNX only supports and tests with the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. We still do support IE8 (even though IE9 is available) because IE8 is the highest version you can use on Windows XP, which is still very prevalent.

Comment

Thanks Richard.

Any chance you have a list of the minimum browser requirements for Valence 3.0? You mentioned the "latest versions" but I'd like to provide users with a comprehensive list to ensure their success when utilizing 3.0 applications...assuming my code is bug free, of course :)

Comment

??

Is it possible to get a list of the minimum browser requirements for Valence 3.0?

Comment

Generally speaking, it's the front-end Ext JS 4 components that dictate the browser requirements for Valence. According to Sencha's Ext JS product page, all major web browsers are supported, including:
          • Internet Explorer 6+
          • Firefox 3.6+ (PC, Mac)
          • Safari 3+
          • Chrome 6+
          • Opera 10.5+ (PC, Mac)

That said, there are nuances to some older versions of these browsers (IE 6 in particular) that can cause certain Valence Portal components and plug-ins to either not work or render in strange ways, and sometimes perform poorly. Your best bet is to use the latest versions of these browsers whenever possible, thereby allowing Ext JS to exploit the latest HTML5 standards. Our personal preference is Google Chrome, as in our tests we tend to see the best Ajax performance there.

Comment

As an addendum to this topic, there are back-end IBM i requirements to consider as well. See the "System Requirements" section in the Valence Version History page.

Comment

Thanks Robert. My problem is that I have no control or knowledge of which browsers that our external users (external to our company, that is) will be using and, as such, would like to be able to provide them with the minimum browser requirements for using our Valence 3.0 applications. Sencha's list mentions IE6 but I've discovered that Valence 3.0 doesn't even work in IE7. If my only option is to advise them to use the latest version of their browser (whether it be IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, or Opera) then I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Comment

You would probably be best just stating your system requirements as something similar to what CNX states in the system requirements section of the release notes for Valence 3.0:

"A compatible browser on client computers. CNX now recommends Google Chrome for the best development and user experience. This version of Valence should work in newer versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer as well as WebKit-based mobile device browsers like those on iPhone, iPad and Android."

Comment

I thought it might be relevant to this thread to point out that Facebook and Google have been phasing out support for IE7 too. The browser just doesn't have the technical features to run advanced applications effectively. See:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...icrosoft_s_IE7

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/f...xplorer-7/6729

Comment

Will do... thanks Richard and Robert!!

Comment

Can you give us the name that the session id is stored under? I would like to retrieve this for use in my PHP programming.

Originally posted by richard.milone View Post
                      IE7 is not supported because it does not support sessionStorage. Valence uses this HTML5 feature to store your secure session information and IE did not start supporting this until IE8. Generally speaking, CNX only supports and tests with the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. We still do support IE8 (even though IE9 is available) because IE8 is the highest version you can use on Windows XP, which is still very prevalent.

Comment

The field name "sid" is passed on every call from the front end to the back end.

Comment

Working...
                        X